Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cold

The mystery of runny nose and two days of sucky practices is solved - I am as sick as a dog! Woke up this morning with a killer headache, stuffed up nose and no voice. Yuck. Dug out a copy of "Light on yoga" to check out the sequences for "cold", "headache" and "stuffed nose". We'll see if Mr. Iyengar knew what he was talking about. I need to get well asap for my trip to San Francisco on Saturday!
Drunk a bucket of herbal tea, took a horse dose of vitamin C, oscillo and theraflu. I think I will go and sleep a little longer before attempting the miraculous sequences.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, so the sequence for "cold" includes:
Sirsasana and cycle
Sarvangasana and cycle
Uttanasana
Paschimottanasana
Kurmasana and Supta kurmasana
Yoga Nidrasana
Ujjayi pranayama with inhalation retention
I haven't done Iyengar in a while, and now it feels so strange for me to do any yoga without sun salutations. The body is stiff and achy, it feels somehow wrong to go into poses. I did first three, and it turned out that all these "up-side down" positions drain the sinuses quite nicely. The headstand did not help with the headache though, I would say quite the opposite. Then I tried Paschimottanasana, and boy, did it feel wrong! So I did several sun saluts A, and it seemed to help with the stiffness of the hamstrings. Paschimottanasana felt rather good afterwards, and the headache slightly subsided. Kurmasana was OK, SK - forget it! Yoga nidrasana - using a strap to rest a head, was OK. First it was strange, felt like there was not enough air to breathe, then it became better. Interestingly, by the time I was supposed to do Ujjayi pranayama, I could actually breathe through the nose! Very intriguing. I am sweaty and tired now, but feeling better, I think. Way to go, Mr. Iyengar!

19 comments:

Boodiba said...

Oooh poor you!! I hope you feel better. I've had the case where I've had to bail on practices only to find out later I was coming down with a fever or Really Bad Cold.

Inversions do help a lot. 5m shoulderstand. 5m headstand.

alfia said...

Thank you, Linda!

5 minute headstand?! Hmmm. I can only do it for 1 minute, then I start shaking. I can do 20 minute shoulderstand, though. Is it a fair substitute? :)

Anonymous said...

I've never tried to do one of those sequences.... good to know! Hope you're feeling better!

Boodiba said...

Oh hey you should try building the time on the headstand. Will help you w/ jump backs & other stuff. But ya, the longer you can stay inverted the better.

alfia said...

Hi, Anna!

Thank you! The sequence seems to be working so far :)

I will add headstand to my twice a week push-ups. But 1 minute is still a big progress for me. When I started Mysore 7 months ago, I could only hold it for 5 breaths. It is 60 now. Yay!

Boodiba said...

Oooh that is very good! Sorry to get all military on you when you've got cold :)

alfia said...

No, no, I am very grateful, Linda!
I need a quick kick into my substantial ass once in a while. And your kicks seem to be very effective.

Keep 'em coming! :)

Boodiba said...

I just always try to help! I will always share things I've found that've helped me.

I wish, wish, wish I could figure out how to keep my weight in my feet.I looked like a freaking RETARD doing my drop backs today but got some special encouragement (props) from my teacher after.

It appears as if I've decided to spend two months in complete & entire yogic immersion with Venkatesh next winter. And he will not tolerate my bad form. Nope.

Shiver, shiver.

alfia said...

He will not tolerate your bad form, you say. :D
Everything is so relative. Your bad form is somebody else's dream come true. Besides, if you were perfect, why would you need a teacher at all then?

Unknown said...

oooh alfia, i hope you feel better soon!!

i find that a few drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water, and sitting over it with a towel over my head helps too.

crankyhausfrau said...

hope you feel better!!
i might get razzed for this but i am big fan of the neti pot when i have a head cold.

Rebirth2017 said...

Alfia...Neti pot is a good thing although I know there are a lot of anti-neti people out there :) I had a cold last week and it saved my life really cause the cold never got past my head into my chest where I always end up in big trouble.
Hope you feel better soon!!

Anonymous said...

Some people hate the neti pot? Damn... I love that thing! I'm a real neti pot supporter I guess... I use it every day along with nauli, it's like brushing my teeth now, just part of the daily routine.

alfia said...

Hi, Rayna! Do not have eucaliptus oil, unfortunately. I guess I will add it to my "cold supply" list.

I will hopefully see you on Friday! Do not think I am up to the full practice tomorrow.
:)

alfia said...

Hi, Tova, ABY and anon:

I like neti pot. But how does one use it if the nose is completely stuffed? I mean the water does not even go anywhere.
I think I will do my headstand #3 now, and then neti. This combination might work.
Thank you, guys!

crankyhausfrau said...

the extra salt in the water will help move the snots through your passages. you might need to give it a few tries. i am also a big fan of varcho veda's neti pot wash, which has some herbs and things, and feels REALLY super nice!

alfia said...

Thanks, Tova! Actually, the headstand did the trick and I was able to use the neti pot. Also, I received by mail today Nasya oil. Very timely! :)

Rebirth2017 said...

Alfia...
Neti and nasya!! You are on your way to recovery!

Anon - yeah I can't tell you how many people I know who just cringe at the mention of neti. I love mine and it has saved me so often from getting really sick. Daily is the way to go with it :)

Anonymous said...

i hope to see you on friday, too! and omg, the neti pot is great (i use it vicariously through aliya). (^_^) actually, my short stint with it was great; it's amazing how much gunk is stuffed up in there!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo