Monday, March 3, 2008

Fat but obsession-free

As I mentioned before, I am struggling with my weight for the last 8-9 years. I have been steadily loosing weight, and practically reached BMI close to being “normal”. A year ago I became a little dissatisfied with the speed (or, more precisely, the lack thereof) of my slimming. So I started trying different systems, most of which worked. The problem was that I became slightly obsessive about it and was weighing myself 3-4 times a day. OK, I was weighing myself every time I passed my scale. So I decided to take control and started doing weigh-ins every week. I guess it is more difficult to quit smoking, but I suspect, not by much. My legs were trembling every time I walked near my balance. And have I mentioned that we have a couple of scales at my work, right next to my favorite bathrooms?
My will power prevailed, and, encouraged by this success, I decided to do it monthly. This year. So, yesterday was my weigh-in #2 of 2008. Guess what? I gained 7.5 pounds during the month of February! I gained weight for the first time during the last eight years. AAAaaaaargh! So the question is: what is better, to be fat and obsession free, or skinny, but obsessive? I am seriously considering the latter. Because I have my priorities straight – there is way too much of me to hug in supta kurmasana now.

7 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

i most certainly go for fat and non-obsessive! i think you can decide to be happy with your body no matter what size you are or you can be unhappy no matter what size you are. i am not a small girl. 5'7" and 155 lbs puts me right at the highest end of normal range. it doesn't prevent me from doing anything. having seen you, it really just bewilders me that you think your weight is an issue!

Anonymous said...

i think it's more difficult to lose weight than to quit smoking. I've quit smoking. I'm trying to get rid of about 5 pounds now and i've made zero progress. actually, I'd LIKE to get rid of five pounds, but i can't say i'm trying....

crankyhausfrau said...

i agree. when you quit smoking you just STOP. you can't do that with eating. i think it is much harder to find moderation than to go to an extreme.

alfia said...

Tova:

5'7" and 155 lbs puts you in a great BMI of 24.3 My BMI is 25.5, which puts me squarely into overweight category. Moreover, I have a shameful fat percentage of 29, which bothers me even more than my BMI. But thank you, nevertheless! Mmmmwa!

Laksmi:

At the time, when you had your blog open, I happend to see your video (where you were dropping back from a headstand). I think you have one of the slimmest and loveliest waistlines I have ever seen. I would not worry about your 5 lbs at all!

Unknown said...

alfia, as someone who does a lot of epi research and takes into consideration such poor measurements as BMI (it really is just a glorified height-weight chart which are SOOOOO antiquated), let me tell you that BMI is a poor indicator of health and a "normal" body. what is normal anyway? body fat measurements, unless you're going for the gold standard water immersion (i forget the technical name for it) test, other tests are not nearly as accurate and are prone to unreliability. so i wouldn't cling on to so-called "quantitative" measurements that really don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

regarding a gain of weight - you could simply be building muscle from practice, or you could've been carrying a little extra water weight. i myself gain up to 5 pounds of water the week before my period...usually towards the full moon. and i'm only 5'1". there could be any number of reasons for day-to-day fluctuations that i think the best thing to do is to ask: Do I feel healthy? Am I happy? these are the things that (at least i think) are important questions.

just my 2 cents.

Boodiba said...

Ever since my anorexic phase in college I have not once known my numerical weight. When I get exams (not in years since I have no insurance) I cover my eyes and ask them not to tell me what it is.

I'm quite thin enough, believe me, but this prevents the urge toward insane perfectionism. I'm happier this way!

Anonymous said...

I found quitting smoking difficult (although I finally succeeded) and I'm on a diet now. It all sucks.

I just know for me that I can't be unhealthily obsessive - life's too short.

P.S., I'm sure you look good. It's pretty hard to do this practice and be a beached whale.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo