Monday, March 10, 2008

I do not have ADD

I might still have a bordeline narcolepsy, but it seems I do not have ADD. I think it is a good reason for celebration!
It was an excellent workshop that I attended today. Sorry, not yoga-related. The topic was "How to teach science", and the lector was amazing. She discussed different learning types (you know, visual, auditory, and kinesthetic) and turned out I was a flaming kinesthetic type. I have to move around to be able to pay attention. If I am immobilized - I promptly fall aseep, no matter how fascinating topic of the lecture is. And, turned out, it is kind of normal. There are many people like that and they do not have ADD, as I thought all this time. Of course, it is a much bigger challenge for me and the likes of me to sustain a meaningful meditation practice, but who said we are afraid of challenge? Especially now, when we know that there is no need for medication. Whew, what a relief. Anyway, somebody suggested something for people like me to use during the times when we can not move - to contract and then let go of some of the muscles (hamstrings, quads, calf and but muscles) slowly and imperceptibly for other people. I tried and yes, it helps to sustain attention a little more than usual. So here we go, in addition to the groins of steel I am going to have buns of steel and may be some additional knowledge from attended lectures. Ain't life wonderful?
Practice - good, but still could not stand up from UD. I had such high hopes for today's practice! Well, I think I need to practice at home after work, because I want to start second series while I am still in my 40-s...

11 comments:

Boodiba said...

You should start it now! Working on 2nd will help you in the standing from wheel thing.

alfia said...

Seriously? Wouldn't I be a "bad lady" by definition then?

Boodiba said...

Depends on who you talk to. Greg had me doing full primary and then 2nd up to Kapo for like five months and that was the only way I was ever able to stand from wheel. I was one of those REALLY stiff-backed people.

alfia said...

What I mean is that I would be able to do the 2nd only at home, without any assistance. I was not given any 2nd poses yet.
I can use a DVD with the 2nd series though. Hmmmm. I hope Keith does not read this. :)

Boodiba said...

Oh! Well unless you're naturally very bendy, you're not going to get half as much out of the poses at first as you would with assists.

Could you ask your teacher to start working on 2nd up to Ustrasana? You'd be getting Bhekasana, Dhanurasana, Ustrasana...

alfia said...

It seems that in our shala asking for poses is frowned upon... I want my pasasana. I can do pasasana without assist. But I am not getting pasasana I think until I either bind in supta kurmasana by myself or get up from UD. Sigh...
I will be a bad lady and practice forbidden poses at home, I think. Yep.

Boodiba said...

Well I would too.

When I got a teacher trainer certification, I had to take the 5.5 months off from Astanga. No time. But it was in my head I'd start 2nd as soon as I got back.

Now I'd heard Karanda described as the "Holy Grail" of 2nd series, and so I'd worked 1m Pinca Mayurasanas into my self practices a full year before I got there in Astanga.

Hence immediately stable and solid Pinca, and so once Greg saw that, he gave me Karanda same day.

I used to try refusing the pose. First few times. He'd laugh and then proceed.

alfia said...

It is decided then. I am very excited!
BTW, my arms hurt like hell from all the prescribed push-ups. It means I am getting stronger, right?

Boodiba said...

Yep. Remember to stretch after too!!

I wish I could figure out how to open up the left shoulder so it'd let me move my arm back in heel-grabbing Kapo position. Can't figure it out though. Hmmm...

Strength training works on the rip & repair principle, basically. Sounds rougher than it is though.

crankyhausfrau said...

that is really interesting about the types of learners. i need to have hands on, or read something, but lectures are totally lost on me. now my son has been diagnosed with 'Auditory Processing Deficit'. at least he comes by it honestly!

alfia said...

Morning, Cranky!
I would not be too upset about your son. Turns out that people retain only 5% of the things they HEARD on the lecture, the rest - what they read, saw or discussed. So who cares about those 5% anyway?
:)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo