Saturday, March 15, 2008

15 min at a time Saturday

I love Saturdays! For me they are never productive, but always relaxing and fun. Unfortunately, this is a bad time to be relaxed and have fun, since I am behind in so many areas of my life.
First of all, my apartment really crossed the line in terms of the mess. It is no longer in "can't have guests over" state, but "can't have anybody over, including ourselves and cats" state. The chaos in my home directly reflects my stress level. Right now, because of our immigration status problems, the stress became a little overwhelming, which resulted in a horrendously messy apartment. So I decided to dedicate my precious Saturday to cleaning. I took my ladybug timer, my ipod with "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert and started moving between 5 areas - kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room and the hall, spending only 15 minutes in each at a time. To make things more interesting, I threw in a 15 min of meditation once, my Saturday push-ups twice and one 30 min lunch combined with blog-reading. So it is nearly 6 pm, and I can actually see a lot of progress! It seems that I enjoy this kind of homework, but do not endulge myself in it often enough because it is too low on my priority list. Need to change it. I bet this mess made me even more stressed out than I already was, so I was spinning in a vicious circle. There is still a lot to do, but the place looks a lot better, even the air feels healthier. I also found a bunch of stuff for donation and dumping.

I will stop cleaning in an hour, because there is another thing that is weighing on me - the taxes. I need at least to download forms and start sorting through the papers.
There is also some work that I brought home, which needs to be finished before Monday, but it should not take more than two hours, can be done tomorrow.

I also need to clean my hard drive on the laptop, because it refuses to make DVD copies (not enough room for the temp files). It is needed for a project we are doing with a friend, who is going to South Africa with Peace Corps.

Anyway, this is how my Saturday shaping up so far. Oh, I also had an oil changed in my car and went grocery shopping. No yoga today, and there will be no Mysore tomorow, because of the ladies holiday. I will still need to teach my Power Yoga class, which is fine. I love this class!

Ok, back to my 15-min cleaning spree. And back to the book, which I actually like, in spite of all the negative reviews I heard from the ashtanga community.

8 comments:

Rebirth2017 said...

Spring cleaning!!! Alfia you have inspired me to get to work here!!
Thank you!

alfia said...

Oh, that what it is? You are right, it is sping cleaning! Haven't thought of it.
:)

lilalia said...

When I was living on my own and I start to get the feeling that my world was coming apart at the seams, I'd clean up my apartment. Your system sounds much more fun than mine was: plow through the mess until you drop. Now that I am living in a household with three other members of the family, I use a lot of denial:
it (housework) is not my job or responsibility to keep the chaos at bay.

Anonymous said...

Good morning! Happy Sunday! I am cooking not cleaning but we can be domestic goddesses together in spirit!

alfia said...

Good morning, Anna! :)

I will join you in spirit as a domestic goddess as soon as I stop staring into the computer! :D Just five more minutes...

Have a great Sunday, too!

Dharmaparma said...

I cleaned the whole house yesterday, today the kids trashed it, little buggers !!!!

Yogamum said...

I liked that book quite a lot. I enjoyed her storytelling and humor!

We cleaned my in-laws' apartment today since they are arriving later this evening. I have tons of stuff to catch up on here, so naturally I am reading blogs.

alfia said...

Hi, Yogamum! Same here. Just came from my class and instead of working I am reading blogs. This is an addiction, me thinks. :D

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo