Sunday, March 9, 2008

28oF!

I looked out of the window - sunshine, the trees in bloom, very beautiful. Looked into the calendar - the 9th of March. OK, I thought, it is Spring. So I put on yoga capri, sandals and a t-shirt, on top - a light jacket and went to practice. Boy, was I in for a surpise! 280F, gusting wind, the car felt like an icicle! I turned on the heat on my seat and the heater of the car to the highest mark. By the time I arrived to the studio, my ass was slightly fried, but the rest of me was still cold. I was practically blue in the face. The lesson learned - I am not going to venture out ever before consulting my friend internet.
The practice was great nevertheless. I always feel wonderful after a day (or, in this case - two days) off the practice. Only I know that tomorrow I will pay the price, but that is OK. The whole practice I repeated mantra - take your time, no need to rush. I spent 6-7 breaths in each pose, enjoying each and every one of them. Aaaaah! Then I nearly got up from UD, both of my hands lifted a foot or so off the floor. I am so close! It's a pity that the lack of stamina does not allow me to make more attempts at it. By the third attempt I am pooped, and go for assisted backbends.
Happy Sunday to everyone and Happy Birthday to Boodiba!!

8 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

the standing up is all in the legs, once you really feel it there, it is almost effortless to get up. good for you for taking your time and enjoying the practice!
also i am OBSESSED with weather.org. both Molly and i stalk the weather report!

alfia said...

Thank you, Tova! I get it in my head, but have trouble translating it into the rest of my body. My leg are a little dumb, I think. But they will catch up, there is no choice for them! :D

Great, my new best friend is weather.org! No venuturing out without MBF!

LI Ashtangini said...

Cute kitty!!!!!

Yes, very cold here in NYC as well. Yesterday the weather was really bad. This morning I got to the train station at 8:00am only to find out that the trains were not running between here and Great Neck due to a fallen tree so I had to take a bus. Didn't get to the shala until after 10am. Boooooo!!!!! But the sun is out and it's gorgeous!

Oh, and my weird pain from yesterday is gone. I guess it was just a temporary thing...shrug.

Rebirth2017 said...

Weather.org...never leave home without checking for sure :) I am among the obsessed too :)

Alfia, thank you for inspiring my blog post today :)

Om and Prem!

lilalia said...

Capri shorts and t-shirt... grrrh! you must have been freezing. Fun to read you description about your practice. Please do continue. Now, I am off to do a short practice before bed.

Anonymous said...

That's wicked cold!

Cranky is right about the backbends. All in the legs. I've heard people who say rock and basically throw yourself up - not the way! It's in the legs, with the breath. That's how it stays stable.

It took me a year and a half to figure all of this out which is the only reason I can talk about it intelligently.

Hope you're having a lovely Monday! : )

Boodiba said...

Hellooooooo!!!!

alfia said...

Hello, ladies! We are having a much better day today - sunny and warm (gasp!). Lower 50s, positively balmy!

I am working hard today; did not have a chance to visit anybody yet. Thank you, Anna, for the advice. You all give me hope. I just need to figure out the geometry of the pose, and I'll do it! Even if it takes a decade, I am not giving up :D

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo