Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Crash

I had a very long day yesterday. On Tuesdays I attend a very interesting class that explores connections between brain and immunity. The class is from 5:30 to 7:30, by the time I reached home it was already after 8 pm, so I only had time to pack my lunchbox, yoga backpack and work clothes before it was time for bed. Normally, I have my dinner right before 6 pm, but yesterday, because of the class and other distractions, my last meal was before 4. As a result, I crushed today during practice. When I started, I had the feeling that something was not quite right with me, but continued, hoping to shrug it off. Somewhere in the midlle of the seated sequence I hit the wall. The feeling was that if I move a litlle more, I would die. Deciding to stop pushing, I moved into the finishing, and in shoulderstand felt so noxious, I thought I would barf right there. I have never felt that bad during practice! Savasana helped a little, but not much. When I was changing, my hands and legs were trembling and I had to sit a little before going to my car. I guess my blood shugar levels plummeted too low for me to hanlde. I should keep a chocolate bar in my yoga backback for the future.
BTW, during my pitiful practice today I still tried to do bhuja pindasana with chin forward. It was so not pretty! My nose still looks flattened a little... :D

10 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

well, maybe the bloodsugar was the problem! don't be scared, ask teacher and try again!

crankyhausfrau said...

also i love your new picture!

alfia said...

I think the sugar is the answer. I came to work, had my breakfast and am feeling vastly better. Should not skip meals!

Thank you! These are geese at the Mall. I can't believe they can sit in a freezing water and sleep. I feel the need to take new pictures, with the Spring colors.

Anonymous said...

hi alfia,
if you want to join my blog, just email me at laksmivimalananda at yahoo dot com.

Arturo said...

hi alfia
maybe you do have the tendency for low blood sugar. i know i do. however, it's not particulary unhealthy to have stopped eating earlier in the day. it appears that you wake up and go to practice without eating anything. this is an area i've done a lot of investigation and asked many teacher's advice. first there is the advice from mysore as to how many hours before practice one can eat. then it's what to eat. so basically, i wake up 2 1/2 hours before practice and have some fruit and nuts with herbal tea. other people say they have some yogourt. some people have just some nuts, others just some coffee. i used to include a 1/4 cup of granola with the fruit but now it's just about 1/2 cup of fruit and 1/3 cup of nuts. if you don't want ot wake up that early, then wake up at least an hour and a half and have just some fruit. fruit passes quickly through the stomach. i hope that helps.
cheers, arturo

Anonymous said...

I'm hypoglycemic, and have had those kinds of practices. They are awful. That shoulderstand thing you describe? Shudder. Had it last week. Got out of it quickly and went straight to padmasana.

Recently I started buying glucose tablets in the drugstore - they help a lot.

Gosh, Arturo, you get up early. I get up at 5 to start practicing at 5:40, and I can't imagine waking up at 4 just to eat something!

alfia said...

Hi, Arturo!
I like your advise. I would have to get up at 4 instead of 4:30, but this is doable. I thought about it for some time now. I was concerned that my regime reminds one of the suma-fighters. And they do it to accumulate fat!

alfia said...

Good morning, Anabella!
Glucose tablets, huh? Do you think they are better than a piece of chocolate I was considering?
Thank you for sharing, though. It is comforting to know other people have the same problems and they know how to fight them. :)

Arturo said...

hi anna, i remember you suffer from similar problems.
hi alfia
i don't remember exactly sharath's recommendations regarding when to eat with respect to practice. i think that it goes something like, no meat any earlier than 3 hours before practice, no solid foods 2 hours before practice, no liquids 1 hour before practice. since fruit (or yogurt) passes quickly, you could probably consume it 1 to 1 1/2 hours before practice. i guess you should experiment to see if you can do everything and have no problems binding. on sundays my practice is later and i have a full breakfast about 3 hours before practice. hope that helps.
cheers, arturo

alfia said...

Thank you, Arturo! These guidelines seem to make sense. I like to experiment, so I will try different variarions of the breakfast (without meat).

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo