Saturday, March 22, 2008

I am legend and a lint owner

I brought home a bunch of movies which I missed in the theatres over the last couple of years. We decided to watch "I am legend" with our dinner, which obviously was a big mistake. What a scary, scary movie! It left a bitter taste in my mouth. As usual, I felt the worst for the dog. Secondly, I felt bad for the poor aggressive mutants. It was obvious that they had intelligence and they cared about each other, but it was ignored somehow in the film. Thirdly, I sympathised with the doctor in the beginning of the film, whats-her-name who announced that they found a cure for cancer. There was a time in my career when I briefly flirted with oncology, and, in particular, with the viral gene therapy. For the research people use viruses that are incapable of proliferation, they just do not have the right genomic material for that. In order to become infectious and dangerous again, they would need to re-acquire somehow a bunch of genes, which is highly improbable. But then again, I guess the moral of the story was that the scientists are an arrogant bunch, and they always assume that something is impossible, which turns out to be not the case.
To remove the bitter taste from the mouth, I turned on the next movie from my stack of DVDs - The "Enchanted". My son immediately left the room, saying that this movie is an abomination (he watched parts of it on the plane). And so it was. An abomination. The movies yet to see - "August Rush", "Atonement" and "Beowulf". We'll see if we had a better luck with these.
I had a very strange dream this night. I do not remember the details, but the gist of it was that somebody called me a lint owner. As in "You are such a lint owner!". I asked what it meant, and the answer was that I thought I had something valuable in my life, but in fact it was filled with the most worthless substance on Earth - lint. Now I am walking around and trying to decide if it is true or not. Kind of depressing.
Oh, well. Cardio and push-up today, maybe a little of crim activities. Then shopping with my son. I think I do not want to watch any more movies for now...
Happy Saturday!

24 comments:

Boodiba said...

I usually LOVE Will Smith movies. I wonder if I would enjoy it...

Elise said...

I saw I Am Legend a few days ago and I do like gore and horror, however, I give this movie a big thumbs down. I thought 28 Days Later was better, though not great, if you want that genre. OR I'd watch 12 Monkeys which is really good (of course the original is better). 30 Days of Night is similar, but not very good. Shawn of the Dead is a good one! Very funny!

I haven't seen Ella Enchanted, but I did see Stardust, which perhaps is the same fairy tale genre. Anyway, I liked it.

Elise said...

will smith is cute and the hero as usual. so if you like will smith, you'll probably like it :)

Boodiba said...

Oh he's SO cute, and he seems NICE!! I loved "I Robot", or whatever it was. #1 the robots all looked like they were made by Apple and the title (I think I'm close to right title) suggested that too. #2 the movie opens with a shot of buff Will in the shower, posed sideways to hide the willy. Was SUCH a preeny shot. He'd obviously been working out, ummm, "hard". I enjoyed it though.

I'm pretty lowbrow when it comes to movies. I like action movies with good looking actors and techno soundtracks. The good guys run around kicking the shit out of the bad guys to snappy tunes. I'm happy. Or alternatively, any comedy resembling Austin Powers. I can't wait for Mike Meyer's Love Guru.

Dharmaparma said...

Read the book its a totally different slant and way better as a story

alfia said...

Good morning, Linda:

Will Smith was quite good there. Not the usual cheereful grinning self, but good. I am lowbrow (I like the expression!) myself, I just like to come out of the movies with a good feeling. Or a thought or two. Good-looking actors are always a big plus. I still keep a movie "Tempted" just because Jason Momoa is such a hunk there, while the movie itself is so-so. I am writing this and blushing... Ugh.

Morning, Elise:

I loved Shawn of The Dead! Hilarious. THe Second movie was "Enchanted", not "Ella enchanted". It is kind of a mix of animation and real movie. The Giselle there irritated the heck out of me, also it was not funny enough, or something. Just bad. Not at all like Stardust, which I liked a lot!

alfia said...

Hello, Skelly:
I am not sure I even want to touch the book after the movie. May be later, when the bad taste subsides.
:)

Boodiba said...

Shawn of the Dead!!!! LOVED it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. And the Queen soundtrack in the pub fight scene??? You know that just cemented my adoration.

One part I adored was when the two male slob leads first see the lady zombie in their back yard & one guy goes, "Wow! She's REALLY drunk."

alfia said...

I loved the moment when the main character moved through the city in the morning without realizing something was wrong, like a zombie himself. I think I actually cried when I saw this it for the first time (from the laughter, I mean) :D

Boodiba said...

Ya me too. I was very disappointed by the directors' next effort, Hot Fuzz, by comparison.

alfia said...

I haven't seen that one. OK, thanks, won't even bother! :)

Boodiba said...

Oh it's not horrible by any means, but if you're expecting the level of their debut you'll be disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I liked "I am Legend." Thought it quite exciting. Will Smith was his usual terrific self, and the setting (Manhattan after apocalypse) was unbelievable. You might really like it just for that, Linda -- a remarkable vision of NYC. All that said, I guess it's a very "yang" movie. Which I generally prefer to "yin" movies (I wouldn't ever watch "Enchanted", for example). Hope your movie luck improves, Alfia. I heard Atonement is very good. Haven't seen it yet, but the book was terrific!

Boodiba said...

I'm probably going to watch it at some point DZM! I hardly ever watch movies though. I actually made it to the theater twice last time I was dating someone steadily. Left to my own devices, in the hovel, I don't have the attention span to watch a whole movie straight through on the laptop. An episode of Southpark or Family Guy? Yes.

alfia said...

Hi, donutsenmom!
I am a sucker for romantic movies in all their incarnations. Even Disney. I am quite ashamed of myself :)
I liked Atonment (the audiobook) very much and I am looking forward to watching the movies as well.

Just watched Beowulf. Mixed feelings. One thing - they are getting better and better at that computer animation thing. It was very close to the real thing!

rayna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

ooohhh..."august rush" is such a sweet movie. having considered a career in music before opting for one in science, it was especially moving. it IS sappy...but sweet nonetheless. oh god. and i cried so much during the movie. it was pretty pathetic.

{deleted previous comment b/c of typo - as if anyone cares!! (^_^)}

alfia said...

Rayna, hi! I am watching it right now! I am already liking it. :)

Dharmaparma said...

I've got to disagree with you Boodiba hot fuzz was brilliant made me laugh my socks off.Alfia the book is totally different much smarter in its story line won't leave a bad taste

alfia said...

Oh, I loved "August Rush"!

rayna said...

isn't it such a feel-good movie?! it doesn't hurt that the kid is sooooooo adorable. i just want to pinch his cheeks!!

Arturo said...

hi alfia
are you and hubby coming this next weekend? will you have a car, or will you be using public transportation? if you have a car, i would suggest going to berkeley to practice yoga on sunday, but if you don't, then the 38 Geary bus would take you easily to yogastudio SF. i could meet you at either one, if you let me know. typically i practice in berkeley on sundays and in SF during the week, but i could change the schedule because of your visit. do you think you're staying at the marriott embarcadero in the financial district, or one of the hotels around union square?
cheers,
arturo

Elaina said...

Alfia,

I can't ever manage to watch a movie that has any basis in science, and not pick apart the flaws associated with it :) I see you do it too ! :)

Hope you had a nice weekend :)

alfia said...

Hi, Elaina:

It is funny that you do it too! Sometimes I think I would enjoy a movie better if I weren't so appaled by the "scientific" assumptions. Ignorance is not necessarily bliss, but don't you wish we could turn it on and off when needed? :D

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo