Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sad

I am sad today. First of all we said our good-byes to Rayna and Aliya yesterday, who went to India for 3 months. I am going to miss them!
Second, I I think I cracked one of my ribs yesterday. I had an unsettled feeling in the right side of my ribcage for some time now, it started right after Kino's workshop. It was easy to ignore for a week, then pain grew stronger and started to move around, so I could not decide, whether it was hurting on my back or front. And I knew the practice was not good for this injury, because I felt good in the morning, but the practice made it worse, so I was somewhat in pain when I came to work. And then yesterday, I assumed a triangle pose, stretched up towards the ceiling, and there was an audible "crack" in my back, under the shoulder blade, close to the spine. I still did a couple of poses afterwards and then the pain became very strong, and I gave up. Now I feel really stupid. It is obvious with a hindsight that I was in denial, not wanting to admit I was injured. Payback time - I do not think I will be able to practice at all for some time. I did make an appointment with a doctor, but honestly I do not think anything can be done at the moment, but lots of rest and avoiding any poses that would cause any pain. I am actually quoting David here, who said that the first rule of the trauma management is "You can't heal anything by irritating it".
On the brighter news, I saw Cranky yesterday! I waited for her and other ladies to finish the practice, and then we had a nice breakfast at Whole Foods. It was hurting to laugh, but I do not mind this cause of pain. :) I can't wait until she moves to DC. Which unfortunately will also coincide with the departure of Karen, whom I just started to get to know. See, I am sad again.
Anyway, boys and girls, please do not be as brainless as your Auntie Alfia, and take good care of your injuries, even if they seem small. It just hurts too much to be an idiot...

22 comments:

Boodiba said...

I think what happens with a pull, sometimes, is that the other muscles clench into a knot around it, to protect the injured area. I've had this kind of thing in the past.

Keep us posted!

alfia said...

How long did it take to heal in your case, Linda?

Boodiba said...

Oooohhhh... I don't want to scare you. This was Yoga Butt on the first side, which started with (according to witch doc) a sprained sacro iliac joint on that side. Too much play. The muscles on the lower back & all inside pelvis, also hamstring insertion (felt like) clenched into a solid knot. Took a good 9 months to work through the first side. I threw thousands of dollars at it too.

But this was a whole other kind of injury. I've had rib / shoulder blade stuff that took only 2 weeks to clear entirely.

alfia said...

Oh, I hope it is the 2-week variety. 9 months! It is scary.

Boodiba said...

Yoga Butt takes a LONG time. I've heard of one teacher saying he had it on one side for 7 years. Who knows to what extent though. I didn't hear it personally so couldn't ask.

Did you find a chiropractor?

alfia said...

Aaaaaa! 7 years?!!!

I have an appointment with a "regular" doctor tomorrow; let's see what he has to say. I do have numbers for two chiropractors that people from the shala highly recommended, so I will call one of them after the X-rays.
Can't push the door with my right hand. Can't put on my lab coat. The pain also irradiates into the back of my arm. It sucks! I am really angry at myself.

Boodiba said...

Oooh that's bad. REALLY try to get a chiro with the ultra sound. I've heard of other people being really helped by it.

Don't be mad at yourself though. Usually it's better to work through injuries. Who can tell when it's gonna "blow"?

alfia said...

Normally when I was trying to work through the injuries, the practice made things better (with the exception of the overstretched hamstrings). This time I knew I was feeling bad after practicing, but did I stop and let it heal? Nope. That is what makes me mad. Oh, well. Hopefully it will not last.
Ultrasound sounds good. Which model do you have? It might be a good idea to have a gizmo like that at home.

Boodiba said...

I'll check when I get home & let you know. Was $200. I waited to see if I thought it helped at all before ordering a VAT of the transmission gel.

crankyhausfrau said...

when is the dr. appointment? i would still be very surprised if you fractured or broke something. there was definitely something out of place in your ribcage and that alone can cause searing pain. i will keep my fingers crossed for you!
and i am SO excited to move down there. the ashtanga community in DC is just wonderful!

alfia said...

Hi, Tova! I am glad you are safely back home. The appointament is tomorrow. I don't think I broke my rib, it just feels like it. :)

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Ooh, I hope you haven't done yourself too much mischief, Alfia ;)

I got a terrible injury during one of my very first Ashtanga classes- a (unauthorized, uncertified, unqualified) teacher, seeing that I had residual bendiness in my body from my ballet years, decided that she would just pull my clasped hands straight down to the floor in Parasrita Padottanasana D. I couldn't even wear a purse strap over my shoulder for months and months after that. Some kind of flipped out tendon. I know how those zingy, take-your-breath away pains can be. I hope yours is nothing like that and with a little bit of rest you'll be back to the mat soon.

alfia said...

Thank you, Joy! I am feeling better already. I guess I just needed to be off the mat for a while. What a terrible story with the tendon! It is a miracle you have returned to ashtanga after an experience like that!

Boodiba said...

Alfia - my ultra sound is from Pro Therapy Supplies, protherapysupplies.com. I bought it from Amazon though, since I have free shipping with them.

alfia said...

Thank you so much, Linda! I have to have it! :D

Boodiba said...

I used mine last night!!

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Embarrassed to admit that the rough beginning probably had a lot to do with my persistance. Peaked my interest, made me aspire to something. Plus there is a whole culture of self-punishment and deprivation in ashtanga that was initially appealing to the ex-dancer in me. Sick, sick.

I really do look at it differently, now!

Glad you're feeling better. And what gorgeous new photos of Karen! My gosh, what I wouldn't give (up) for her spinal flexibility. ;)

alfia said...

I actually admire your attitude, even if had changed since that time. I am a little bit of a wuss, greatly valuing the integrity of my bodily persona. :D I would have given up under similar circumstances, I believe.

I am glad you like the photos. I think she is stunning. She looks much better in life!

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
Hey I'm sorry. Maybe you're not injured. There are a lot of noises in our body that we don't really understand what is going on. You might need to have an Xray done to verify.
Thanks for more beautiful Karen pictures.
Now that I've read Linda's and JS's and other's posts, I would add that the SI joint problems can be avoided by doing the pelvic floor exercises in Eric Franklin's book (who teaches ballet dancers by the way) "Pelvic Power". At least that is what my teacher Seven Petal Lotus recommends.
hugs
Arturo

alfia said...

Hi, Arturo:
I am injured all right, but nothing is broken, so it is not too bad. It will heal.
Did I tell you I got the "Pelvic power" book? It is good, thank you for suggesting it!

eeyore said...

sending healing smudgewoozles your way, alfia. hope it clears up very soon.

alfia said...

Thank you, eeyore! I am feeling them! (smudgewoozles - :D)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo