Monday, May 12, 2008

Kino's workshop

I was out of blogosphere for too long. I missed you all!

Anyway, I had 13.5 hours of yoga this weekend. First, Kino's workshop, and then my vinyasa class. Let me tell you, that much yoga during the ladies holiday is not good. I am on a day four of above mentioned holiday, and it is not letting go. What if it decides to stay forever?

Kino's workshop was great. She is such a lovely person. When she was telling us stories about Guruji, she imitated his accent, but with so much love and admiration, that it was very funny and heart-warming at the same time.
First workshop was a lead class. I am not sure how much variation one can get from lead Ashtanga classes; I guess the difference is mostly in adjustments. Aliya was funny when he said that if he adjusted a down dog the way she was doing, he would be immediately sued. She was leaning with her whole body against the back of the student, pushing pretty hard. In my case, she came from behind, inserted her hands between my thighs and pulled them, simultaneously rotating them outwards. Interesting feeling.
In Mysore on Sunday we've got more adjustments. In supta kurmasana she told me to hold my head firmly up, pressing down with my chin. My instinct before that were keeping my head down, on the forehead. With head up it was much easier to hold the leg knot behind my neck.

In the "Yes you can" workshop she was concentrating on the jump through - jump back preps and their connection to the handstand. She had an interesting partner work activity, where we helped each other to get into a handstand. In all these preps she had us tuck the tailbone in, round the upper back and spread the shoulder blades. In jump through and a handstand the idea was not to jump up, but to drive the sacrum forward as far as possible. Of course I was too scared to drive my sacrum far enough for the legs to lift, but I got the idea. I will need to try it at home. I need to fall down several times to get rid of this particular fear, and then I can try in all earnest.
The other interesting thing I remember she said was about the difference between "I am tired" our mind says and " "I am tired" our muscles say. She said that mind gives up invariably earlier than the true limit of muscle endurance is achieved. She had an example of utpluthi. She said the true limit is achieved if we are still pushing and working hard, but the butt nevertheless hits the floor.

The backbending workshop was very interesting, too. She gave us a sequence of checkpoints to run before going into any backbend. First, to pull in the low ab muscle, pretty much the same way we do, trying to zip jeans that are too tight. Then tuck the tailbone in as much as possible. Expand the lower ribs with inhalation, then exhale but leave the ribs where were. Do it several times, every time ribs stay up higher and higher. Bring hands in a prayer position at the level of eyebrows and start leaning back with exhalation. Move down, periodically checking the abs, the tailbone, the ribs and the breathing. I was trying so hard that my ribs are still achy! We also worked a little on standing up from UD, but by that time I was already pooped, so my attempts were not quite wholehearted.

I did not practice today, trying to mollify my raging ladies holiday. But already by midday I was regretting the skipped practice, because this whole week I am in training, which means sitting, sitting and sitting some more. Lectures all day long, very few breaks, no internet either. I should stop being a student, I think. I should start teaching instead…

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great instructions. Thank you for sharing!

The holiday will not stay forever. For reals!

alfia said...

Hi, Anna! We were leaving comments at the same time!
I am afraind the holiday CAN stay forever. It happened to me once when my son was 3 months old - the holiday came and stayed for 8 months. Fun times. Especially when I tried to persvade the doctors it was not a miscarriage. Ugh...

Anonymous said...

Astralplane!

Really? 8 months? Eek. I know that sometimes when I do inversions the first few days of the holiday it does seem to last a little longer, but only a little.

I hope yours leaves soon! And in the meantime the workshop sounds very worthwhile.

alfia said...

Thank you, Anna!

It was not yoga-related then, rather the birth-related. But I am always scared since that time when the holiday goes beyond the normal.
But the workshop was totally worth it! Every singel muscle in my body hurts a little, which is in my book a definition of success. I also learned a lot. I think I love Kino. :D

Unknown said...

omg, i think i love kino too. it is soooo cool when you meet someone you've kind of idolized a bit (um, i'm raising my hand) and then when you meet her in person, she's even better than you expected! she just seems so genuine and devoted to this practice in the most inspiring way.

alfia said...

Hi, Rayna!

I did not know her at all, just saw a couple of vidos on Youtube. I had an impression she was a little cold (probably, because she was in a deep concentration then). But boy was I wrong! She is such a warm, humble and genuinely nice person. And very devoted, I totally agree with you! :)

Gypsy Girl said...

Isn't it wonderfull to go to a yoga workshop or retreat and practice till everything aches all over!!! Love it. glad you had such a good time.

Rebirth2017 said...

Hi Alfia!
Welcome back!
Glad to hear you got so much out of being with Kino. I experienced her earlier this year too but only for one led Primary class. I did not really like her adjustments but otherwise thought it was all good. I'd like to do more of a workshop with her, not just class.

Away with the LH!
Sleep well!
Bhakti Yogi

Elaina said...

Thanks for the notes on the workshop! Very helpful :)

lilalia said...

It must be hard to explain to others how so much intensive work can be fun. Sounds as though you had a great time.

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
Wonderful notes, thank you. It reminds me that Kino says that it's not that our mind is entirely quiet during practice. We actually have to be like a dancer, who might be doing a difficult movement and whose mind might be going, "leg up, torso twist, raise arm raise, rotate hand" whatever. In your case for dropbacks the internal dialogue might be "abs in, tailbone tucked, ribs up, breathe", continually being checked as you drop back.
Cheers,
Arturo

Boodiba said...

8 months????

I'm a little envious of all these workshops going on, but I love my practice right here. Is all ok.

I hope your holiday behaves & goes away.

LI Ashtangini said...

Good notes Alfia, thanks!!!! I'm glad you enjoyed her workshop.

Unknown said...

hi alfia!! are you going to any of the talks/classes for the NIH yoga week?

alfia said...

Hi, Rayna!

I might go, I have not looked at the schedule yet. I am in training this whole week, no computer time, except for a lunch break. I feel internet-withdrawal symptoms already! :D

Elise said...

i bought her video...there is a portion that features highlights from her "jumping" workshop. Really helpful stuff!

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Hi Alfia! My name is Joy and I practice Ashtanga in France. I've been reading your blog for a couple of months and I just wanted to mention to thank you for writing about the workshop with Kino. After I read this post, I went to the shala and finally, really stuck Supta Kurmasana.

So, I'm delurking to say Hey, Namaste! Here and elsewhere. ;)

alfia said...

Hi, Joy!
We were totally writing in each other's posts simultaneously!
Nice "meeting" you! :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo