Thursday, May 1, 2008

May day and Thursday slump

It is a May day! It used to be a holiday back in USSR. When I was a small girl, we went to demonstrations on the first of May. We we dressed nicely, many people were holding flowers or little flags, and some were trusted to carry slogans. The idea was that we were demonstrating a) our solidarity with the oppressed laborers of the world and b) our full support and happiness with the Soviet power. The Soviet power was demonstrated a little later with a military parade, which followed the civilian demonstration. I just remember my silk dress, black and white, of which I was very proud, a heavy sweater on top of it, because it was chilly; I was sitting on my father's shoulders in the sea of live and fake flowers, slogans, balloons and peoples heads. The loudspeaker was yelling something like "Glory to the amazing achievements of the free and and peaceful republic of Uzbekistan" or some such. In addition to the loudspeaker there was deafening military orchestra playing patriotic music. This sea of people was slowly moving through the major streets of the city, and the culmination of the event occurred when we reached the main plaza, and moved next the the platforms with the Communist Party leaders, who standing there, perpetually smiling and waving to the crowds. After we passed the plaza, the crowds dispersed very quickly, leaving behind on the streets colorful bits of paper and dying flowers. That was my first recollection of the first of May demonstration. I was probably 3 or 4 at that time. All the other firsts of May fused in my memory into a blob of boredom and annoyance of the necessity to spend half of a perfectly wonderful day off on the streets instead of doing something worthwhile, like reading a book.
Here is an example of how it was. It is 1983, but over the years of soviet time the first of May demonstration was absolutely constant.



I skipped the practice today. I skipped it last Thursday, too, because of my birthday. I wonder now, is it something my body needs? Or am I being lazy? It is hard to distinguish between the two these day. I think I will go with the former for now, and contemplate it a little longer when I have time.
Happy Thursday, everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

well happy may day... or "happy" may day? (^_^)

we missed you at AYC today. don't beat yourself up over not coming - i doubt it's laziness. some days we just need a break. maybe this will make you feel better: every morning aliya wakes me up with a freshly pressed cup of coffee (decaf these days, we're really trying to cut out the caffeine) and lots of kisses. and some of those mornings i'm *still* to tired to get out of bed and let him drive me to the shala. i mean, sheesh, i really just need to roll out of bed to practice. and yet, some days i just can't. so... don't feel bad at all. (^_^)

alfia said...

Hi, Rayna! Thank you for your support. I am really tired today, for no apparent reason. I think I will go to practice next time when I feel like that and see, what happens. If I am OK afterwards, I will assume this is just laziness. If I feel bad, then I will know that this is something my body needs. Need to experiment! :D

I guess Aliya is back? Happy times! :)

Boodiba said...

If you can get an extra hour's sleep on tired days it really helps.

I've started going later on Thursdays so I can not miss any days & it's been working. Initially thought I just "couldn't" bring myself to do my 2nd/3rd series for four consecutive days. But I discovered that if I get up at 5am & leave at 6:15 M-Wed, if I allow myself a later start Thurs I can "handle it" somehow.

And Friday I can leave a bit later than M-W too, cause Primary only doesn't take as long as the other.

Rebirth2017 said...

Hi Alfia,
Thursday is a fine day to take a break from practice...I do it pretty much every week :) I give myself a chance to sleep a little later (6am instead of 5am)too.
Happy May Day!
ABY

alfia said...

Hi, Linda!

You gave me an idea - I will try to go to bed 30 min or an hour earlier (unfortunately, staying late is not an option for me!)
Thank you!
I am so busy today, I am even glad I missed practice...

alfia said...

Hi, Aby!

Happy May day to you, too! :D

Boodiba said...

Ya I can just email my boss & inform her I'll be in at noon if I REALLY want. There are advantages to being a total slacker.

crankyhausfrau said...

that is such a lovely story!

i got my kids to the bus this morning and then went back to sleep until i had to come to work :) i don't regret my nap one little bit!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo