Saturday, June 7, 2008

Chitta Vritti's meme

I am so not a meme person, but they say change is good. So here we go:

The rules:
1. Post the rules of the game at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags five people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

What were you doing five years ago?

I just got my PhD, was deliriously happy, started my postdoc job at NIH

What are five things on your to-do list for today?
Laundry
Groceries
Take my husband to and and bring him from his CFA exam
House cleaning
Cooking

Not very exciting!

What are five snacks you enjoy?

Apples
Berries
Sweet snap peas
Sweedish fish
dark chocolate


What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire?

Buy a house
Make happy my relatives and friends back in Almaty
Open an orphanage in Almaty
Support a pediatric oncology ward in Almaty
Sponsor a neutering/spaying program for dogs and cats in Kazakhstan

What are five of your bad habits?

Procrastination
Computer games
Too much TV
Reading trash
Eating too much


What are five places where you have lived?
Alma-Ata, USSR
Almaty, Kazakhstan (same place, different era)
Moscow, Russia
New York city
Washington, DC

What are five jobs you’ve had?

Yoga teacher
High School teacher of computer science
Autoradiography analyst
Postdoc
Visiting scientist


These are the five people I tag:

1) A BhaktiYogi
2) Arturo
3) Elaina
4) Lilalia
5) Gypsy Girl


If you decide to do the meme, please let me know! :)

16 comments:

eeyore said...

alfia, i love your meme! even though you make mine look absolutely ridiculous, which it is. reading it makes me really wish i'd seen you when you guys were out here and saw arturo. and swedish fish! the best.

lilalia said...

Alfia, nice meme, I'll get to it soon. Loved your answers. Life lived in full has a lot to do with mixing a variety of ingredients... which you seem to have.

alfia said...

Hi, eeyore! Thank you for stopping by!

We will meet one day, right? Ashtanga world is a small one, after all.

:D

alfia said...

Hi, Lia! Thank you!
My life was a big salad, true. Or may be Borsht?
:)

chitta vritti said...

THANK YOU Alfia, i didn't know you considered yourself not a meme person... now i'm EXTRA happy you shared :)

there seem to be a lot of us being good at procrastinating. it's nice to know one is not alone :)

swedish fish and dark chocolate, i should've written that... i love dark chocolate!

Eeyore, your meme is NOT rediculous!!! we are all different and i'm so happy you are you :)

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Alfia, how cool! I learned so much about you! I didn't even know you were Kazac. Have you been back to visit, lately? I would luuuurve to see the countryside in that part of Europe...

alfia said...

Oh, Joy Suzanne! There is nothing to see there, in Kazakhstan. Lots of boring brown plains. There are small patches of prettiness here and there, but very small in comparison to the vast nothingness.
I am a citizen of Kazakhstan, ethnically I am a Tatar, but speak only Russian (can't speak either Tatar or Kazakh) and some English. Very confusing. I think I need to re-invent my identity. :D

Yogamum said...

I enjoyed reading this -- I didn't know you were from Kazakhstan (I can barely spell it).

Mmmm... Swedish fish!

alfia said...

Hi, Yogamum!

Yep, Kazakhstan. Doesn't Borat immediately jump to mind when you hear it? :D

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Not fair about Borat, is it?

But there are quite a lot of citizens of Kazakhstan who speak only Russian, are there not? I saw some beee-yootiful images of your city once on some documentary about the former USSR...the mountains were stunning! Plus, I don't know, it's interestingly situated, isn't it?

You sent me off on a little wikipedia excursion to find out about the Kazak Tatars! ;)

Have a lovely day Alfia

alfia said...

It is interesting about Borat. First our Embassy was so indignant about the movie. They were huffing and puffing themselves into heart attacks. The time passed and they realized that because of this movie people started expessing interest and travel there more. It actually placed Kazakhstan on the map for many, many people who have never heard of it before. Though I guess all the tourists who come there to observe the "annual run of the jews" or some such will be disappointed! :D

Great day to you too, Joy Suzanne!

ashtanga en cevennes said...

There were quite a few Kazaks at my French-foreign-language school when I first got to France. I don't remember why they needed to be here... It was Philippe who told me that it was a beautiful with plenty to see, before I saw the documentary, though he's never been there. I think he'd like to tour all around eastern Europe and central Asia.

I saw Borat. That movie does make it all seem brown and desolate. Bleck.

alfia said...

I might be totally unfair to my own country. There are places worth visiting, for sure. But I traveled through the whole country on a train more than once and I was always near comatose by the end of the trip from the sheer lack of visual stimulation. Brown plains, brown plains.
I still love it, though. Mostly because of people, all my friends and relatives I left behind.

Elaina said...

I am writing my meme on my blog right now :)

I swear I don't read you for two days, and look what happens while I am away :)

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
Thanks, I responded in my blog. I'm running from one place to another today. I notice you posted more beautiful pics. Neat!
hugs
Arturo

Gypsy Girl said...

Hi alfia
I played along with your meme. I haven't written in my blog for a while so maybe it has given me a nudge to get back at it.
Loved your answers, mine are a bit boring.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo