Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Routine is good, right?

Pains and aches are back. The bliss lasted two days, and now I am back to the routine. Which is OK, I just need to be a little more careful. It is funny, though, how I moan about my pains. A co-worker asked me today how my rib was. I said, "better, but I can still feel it". "How do you feel it?", he asks. I say, "Well, Parivritta Parsvakonasana is a little uncomfortable, then in Marichiasanas I can't twist to the full extent, and in all jump back-jump through positions it hurts a little under the shoulder blade". " So it does not hurt to walk, talk, bend, breathe or sleep?" "No." "Then you are OK, healed completely!". I guess so. There are injuries and then there are injuries. When I say that my knees bother me, I mean that binding in Marichyasana D is a little troublesome because of the knee position. When "normal" people say that knees trouble them, they mean it hurts when they climb the stairs or lower down on the seat. I probably should just shut up about the body aches altogether.
A friend of mine is going through a divorce right now. It was a huge shock for her, and for everyone else around. I heard her talking on the phone with him less than month ago, there was so much tenderness and feeling in the way she was saying "I love you, too". And now he is leaving her for another woman, after 20 years of marriage. They were going to celebrate their 20th anniversary this August in Italy. Life is just crazy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your friend. Can't imagine how difficult that must be.

As for you, yes, your coworker adds a new perspective! But for us yogis, the pains are still real and important.

Funny, I just repeated I think to Carl, advice that an old teacher of mine gave me when I was hurt once, and practicing through it... she said, "pain sucks, but it forces us to be present in a different way."
: )

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Oh no, I'm sorry too. Ugh.

Hope you get those few remaining kinks worked out of your knees and ribs very soon.

Gypsy Girl said...

I am with anabella's teacher. I try to keep practicing with injuries and it certainly does force us to be present in a different way. Several months ago I was nursing a bad back, then broke 2 toes, then fell on my knee. What a mess!!
I just backed off and did what I could do without doing more damage.
Hang in there...the pain is good...it's all good.

Sorry for your friend.

alfia said...

It is so true that pain brings us into the moment like nothing else! It still sucks, though.

Thank you, lovely ladies! :)

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
Do you actually tell your coworker, well my Parvritta Parsvakonasana hurt a bit? Hehe. Does she do yoga as well? If not It would be so funny to mention names that are foreign to them.

I like your mindfulness approach for today. Oh, and I ordered a chyawanprash from iHerb.com. Anything to make my practices rock. Thanks for introducing me to it. I wonder about the sugar content, but I think there isn't a lot of sugar in just one teaspoon, and there are a lot of antioxidants.

Sorry about your co-worker's pain.

cheers,
Arturo

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo