Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Allégresse

Turns out it is helpful once in a while to plunge into the depth of despair. It makes the next day all the more better. I woke up today with a stiff neck (slept poorly because of the shoulder blade pain), came to practice without any high expectations. The first several up dogs were excruciatingly painful in my upper back, but I persisted because I am familiar with this pain and know that movement helps. We had a girl from shala subbing for David today (who had a knee surgery on Monday). I was kind of glad I did not have to explain why I am skipping kurmasana and supta kurmasana, because she was a little overwhelmed with the full class and did not keep track of the poses. When I reached setu bandhasana, I hesitated for a moment, and did it anyway. It was not too bad, except for the very last moment of rolling out of the pose, when I had to press into the back on my head. I sat for a moment and almost cried because of the misery of this morning's practice. Did three UD, they actually felt good. Then got up and prepared for the dropbacks. Looked around - the girl was talking to David, who came to observe. So I dropped back on my own, tried to stand up, fell down. OK, I thought, I will try again. I tried and stood up! I did not quite believe what happened, so tried again, and stood up again. Third times - same thing. Yay! Nearly cried again, this time from jubilation. The girl came around and congratulated me on the "graduation from the bench". Lying in savasana, I thought about it and realized that getting up from the dropbacks gives a little additional momentum, which I was missing from the static pose. Which means that I still have to learn how to stand up from UD after 5 breaths, but I think this time it will not take 6 months. I am so excited!
Today is also my son's 21st birthday. My poor baby is all alone in New York, no friends to go to the bar and celebrate the fact that he is legal to drink now (OK, I am not too sorry about that). I still wish he were home so we could celebrate it together.
Have a great day, everybody!

20 comments:

Boodiba said...

Oooh congratulations!!!! That is fabulous news. I hope your neck feels better as the day goes on too.

I better get my butt in the shower now.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Alfia, high five! Oh, I'm so glad to read this! I was just thinking, she *deserves* to stand up! So so glad for you!!!!!

:D

alfia said...

Thank you, Linda! Who cares about the neck when I can stand up from UD? I am invincible now! :D

alfia said...

Hi, Joy Suzanne! It must've been your french vibe than helped me! Did you appreciate my French title, or did I mess it up? :)

Boodiba said...

It's a wonderful thing when you pass the yogic hurdle. Feels liberating no?

Christopher didn't even NOTICE that I cut out all the fucking around with my wheels before standing. Sigh. He is still harping on the drop backs. I like to hang for a moment before I drop. He says I will be more inclined to pass out in Ganda Bherundasana if I don't correct that. Oh well.

alfia said...

What do you mean? I thought it was a sign of a high mastery to hang in your backbend before you drop back. Am I wrong?

Boodiba said...

I have a drawn out process. I like to start bending back with my hands on my waist but in the back, so I can feel the backbend on each side of my spine with my hands. Then I bring my hands to prayer, pause & move the backbend (internal awareness) higher up the spine. Then I bring my hands up & over my head and pause again. I might take two or three breaths here, keeping my awareness in my mid back, the part I want to open more.

Finally I drop on an exhale.

Chris wants me to exhale drop, inhale up, three times in rapid succession.

Oh I also stand around for a bit in between each drop.

He hates me hand standing too. Thinks I don't need it.

Is very persnickety.

Anyway I did 3 fast drops last Saturday during my self practice, but I'd done like 20m of solid back bending right before. I do my own, non vinyasa yoga at home. Felt ok. I'm not ready for that at the shala yet. And shortening up the time I spend in Urdhva Ds by like two thirds first doesn't make me feel any more prepared.

alfia said...

Can't imagine why your way is bad! Seems like a very mindful approach to me! Don't we strive for that?

persnickety! :D Love this word!

Boodiba said...

He thinks I'm stalling & is relentless where he feels I should be more streamlined.

I didn't even do ONE hand stand today. But you know, if I visit him for a week we're going to have to compromise here.

I did blatantly drink water right in front of him... Can't behave COMPLETELY after all.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

You got it right! Allegresse, la joie...

But hey, Kino hovers and hovers like a mo fo in her backbending. I saw the video.

(Sorry for that mo fo bit. That comes from Liz-- she's so hilarious. I've been laughing at that 'hovering like a mo fo' business since yesterday...)

Boodiba said...

She DOES hover, but then she's got a super bendy spine & I do not.

Maybe I'll work up to the point of doing three slow-ass drop backs & then three quick ones. In the shala that is. I might practice Sat at home again so I can practice solo once more first.

Oh ya - motherfucker! Not you, JS. Just shouting mf for no reason.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

It can be satisfying.

I was watching the Sopranos the other day where Tony misheard his psychiatrist when she was talking about the "amour fou" he was living with his crazy goomah, and thought it was "mo fo". He kept repeating it after. Then I read Liz's blog about hovering like a MoFo. Mofos all around.

crankyhausfrau said...

not to change the subject, but isn't there this guy who says 'practice and all is coming'?
:)
:)
:)

alfia said...

So true, Cranky, so true! Though is is so hard to believe sometimes!
:)

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Good morning Alfia, still got it today?

I did not karanda; I couldn't bring it back up. No strength or stamina in the hot humid studio. My backbendings were making me very nauseous and I was really phoning everything in.

:( Hate practices like this.

I didn't drop back OR stand up. La honte!

Anonymous said...

I am just reading this! Congratulations! This is wonderful news.

alfia said...

Thank you, Anna! I am totally exhilarated! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Such great news!!! You see??? ;) I knew it!

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
happy birthday to your son, 21 is a milestone.
cheers,
Arturo

Arturo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

View my page on WoYoPracMo