Thursday, February 21, 2008

Talent in yogasana


I was inspired by Lilalia’s amazing collages, and made an attempt to make one of my own. This is the picture I took of Aliya, one of my shalamates. He and his wife Rayna are wonderful yogis and became my good friends. As a background I used a lotus flower photograph by Bahman Farzad with his kind permission (check out his stunning gallery).

This photograph brings me to the question of talent in yogasana. In a way, this is a politically incorrect topic, because yoga is not a competition, one is not supposed to compare and so on. But we do compare. And we see that some people’s asanas are beautiful, while others – not so much. I wonder why is that? I guess, like in all athletic endeavors, the brain-muscle coordination matters. I bet the anatomy is very important. Such aspects of it, as the depth or shallowness of the joints that is just right, allowing lots of freedom of movement, but stable at the same time. Or the proportional length of the limbs (as well as the relative length of the bones in the limbs). Or number of accumulated injuries and imbalances in the body, both physical and psychological. I also noticed (and I might be completely wrong here) that the vast majority of people with beautiful asanas have a vata constitution of the body (or vata-pitta). Among kaphas or kapha-pittas I know very few (Andrew Lappa comes to mind, or Erich Schiffmann) with inspiring practice. I guess the vata lightness of the body is one of the aspects that make asanas beautiful. On the other hand, it is possible that being a vata is not so good for the meditation practice, and kaphas, with their innate groundness and ability to concentrate, have easier time in meditation.

Anyway, you might have guessed by now that I am an unbalanced kapha with short limbs and shallow joints, lacking any stability. To improve my asana practice, based on the above-mentioned considerations, I decided to increase vata vaju in my body. My ayurveda teacher ones mentioned that his experiments with raw vegetarian food increased the lightness in his body tremendously. In addition, Rayna also told me that it helped her practice. So here we go, a copycat as I am, I started eating raw vegetarian. The results are not very encouraging. Vata vaju (wind) is definitely increased. A lot. In my belly, that is. So the legendary kapha power of concentration is now mostly channeled on trying not to share vata vaju with the rest of the shala. Probably I should just come to peace with the conclusion that we, kaphas, are not meant to fly?

10 comments:

Ursula said...

Great. What an amazing photo. :)

lilalia said...

Love the collage. Especially like the fact that the photos you used mean something to you. Hope to read more of your blog this weekend.

alfia said...

Ursula, Lilalia:
Thank you so much! I am very happy you liked the photo. :)

Ursula said...

You are great alfia, full of dancing energy.

crankyhausfrau said...

Alfia, i will definitely be at AYC on sunday. i have practiced there before, so i might recognize you.
i am also not a small girl. last time i was there Alyia was helping me with half drop backs and i told him 'i weigh twice as much as you, please don't drop me on my head!' he didn't :)

alfia said...

cranky housefrau - I believe Aliya is going to be working there this Sunday. So he'll get a chance not to drop you on your head again! :)

Yoga Chickie said...

That is an amazing collage!

I also want to say - kaphas have the BEST constitution for yoga. You are naturally soft and bendy. Vatas are stiff by nature. Pittas tend to be more heavily muscled. Most of the really bendy ashtangis I have known are, I believe, kaphas. When they are thin, they are just beautifully soft and bendy. When they have more cushioning, they are still beautifully soft and bendy. If you feel like your arms are too short or your tummy is in the way, well those things change over time. My teacher, Guy, told me that a soft stomach makes some poses easier - anything where the heel presses in there.

As a pitta-vata, I can tell you that the only thing that makes the poses easier for me IS my size. Everything else is difficult - my monkey mind, my disposition, the stiffnss in my joints, the hardness of my muscles. So...love your kapha self!!! The poses will happen...

Arturo said...

hi alfia
very nice blog entry. i love the graphics. i also like to make art out of yoga photos or drawings.
i eat mostly raw vegetarian too. yes, there is increased gas and the gastric emptying occurs sooner. you might benefit from beanzyme to help digest. sometimes consuming vinegar in a dressing or diluted in water, i have read, helps slow the gastric emptying. i'm used to going to the bathroom more often by now. i don't recommend being vegan, even though i have friends who are. i consume kefir.
cheers, arturo

alfia said...

Thank you, Arturo! I thought it was just me, being gastrointestinally challenged. I will try beanzyme for sure. I also consume kefir, which I make myself from organic fat-free milk, and I love it!

Unknown said...

i do love this collage you've made - and the one you made for aliya and i. (^_^) regarding constitution - i think we all have our individual challenges, regardless of shape, size, strength, flexibility, etc.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo