Friday, February 22, 2008

Strength vs flexibility.

Yoga makes us strong and flexible, calm and happy. We come to yoga, because we need it, either physically or spiritually (I wonder, why do I dislike the word “spiritual” so much? The phrase “He embarked on a spiritual journey to India” makes me cringe). There are two major physical types that start yoga: a) strong and stiff and b) weak and bendy. Of course, there are two more types – weak and bendy (they should take comfort that they are balanced at least in something) and strong and flexible (you know the type. We all hate them :D), but they are rare. I was the poster child for the weak and bendy type. Over the years of doing yoga, I concentrated on making myself even bendier, because, hey – that was something I was good at! Until I started Power yoga and then Ashtanga, my strength and stamina did not really improve. I have never realized how much easier time strong people have doing yoga, until I started to teach a “Yoga for Athletes” class. This class lasted only one year, but some of my students went ahead to other, more advanced classes, and a couple continued in my Power yoga class. These people were really strong and quite inflexible. The runners and the bikers were the stiffest, followed by the swimmers. A seated forward bend was a complete misnomer for them, because with such short hamstrings they could not even sit straight, and had to lean back. Backbends were non-existent; for some of them a backbend meant just straightening up from slouching forward. Anyway, you get the picture. They did need yoga badly and yoga delivered. The hamstrings elongated, the shoulders opened, the abs stretched. And then, because they were so strong, they progressed really fast! One of them could do a beautiful, floating jumpback from a seated position, just because of the existing core strength and coordination. Most of them learned the arm balances in no time at all. All these strong people were much less prone to injuries, than their bendy counterparts. I am not sure why I am telling that, my brain is a muddled today. Oh, yes, I remember. YC disagreed with me that vata people have it easier, than kaphas. I suggest a compromise – let’s say pitta people (strong, muscled pitas) have the best time in yoga? They are already strong, acquire flexibility fast, and get injured less frequently.

Anyway, I had a great practice today. Aliya was adjusting and he folded me into the best Supta Kurmasana I ever had in my practice. I was able to hold it for 20 breaths, lift up into a balance before unfolding into tittibasana. I would have held it even longer, but my nails were digging into my palms. Note to self - keep the nails short!

19 comments:

Boodiba said...

I always felt at a disadvantage to the super bendies until I started 3rd series...

alfia said...

Now, that was a sentence that made me gasp. It makes me wonder then if there is anybody who does not feel disadvantaged? Anybody? (3rd through 6 series doers excluded :D)

Boodiba said...

I'm very strong, but I've got a bit of side to side scoliosis. I still struggle with backbends. My Kapo is v difficult and my drop backs suck. But there you go.

I do 3rd through Viranchyasana B, but I don't feel all that advanced. Still, I can do the poses.

alfia said...

See, the stregth is what I am craving. How did you get that way? Just doing yoga?

Boodiba said...

Nope. From being a gym rat. I came to Astanga with a lot of strength & endurance & it built & refined.

alfia said...

I gathered. Oh, well, my dear dumbells, come to mama!

Thank you, boodiba!

Boodiba said...

Pushups will help you. Lots and lots of pushups.

alfia said...

Intersting! So you think that the number of chaturangas we do everyday is insufficient? Or pushups are different in any way? I did not do any pushups because of chanurangas...

Boodiba said...

Well... I used to do an abs / push-ups routine with three sets of three varieties of push-ups. The different hand positions work the arms & shoulders differently, and doing a set of ten is a different thing from doing a catarunga as part of a vinyasa. Anyway, the routine featured 90 push-ups total. It's a concentrated focus on one area of strength. This is how weight lifters work to build muscle strength...

I used to read weight lifters magazines sometimes & apply the logic to yoga & building upper body strength, which was an area of fixaction. Seems to have worked cause I'm one of those rare women who can lift a karanda (still have to put face on floor though).

alfia said...

OOOooooooh! I knew there was a reason I started this blog.One week, and I acquired at least two obsessions now - collages and push-ups :D. I am practically oozing gratitude here!

90 you say? 3 times a week?

Boodiba said...

Twice a week is sufficient. You could try it four weeks and see.

A position: hands centered under sternum, thumbs & index fingers of opposite hands touching. Forms little heart position. This is the hardest.

B: Hands directly under shoulders. Catarunga position.

C: Wide hands - classic gym style push-up.

Note: do extra shoulder stretching!! Figure out where you tighten and stretch that after. Important!

alfia said...

Perfect! I will report to you in 4 weeks!

Спасибо огромное! ( it is "big thanks" in Russian)

Boodiba said...

No problem! I always try to help my fellow yogis.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about vata, pitta, kapha, but my teacher (also Boodiba's teacher) says, "We have to work with what we're given!"

Welcome to Blogland!

alfia said...

Annabella, thank you! It is so much fun over here!

I totally agree with your teacher. It was just an excuse to whine a little. I am over it now :)

Boodiba said...

You can whine all you want. We certainly do :)

crankyhausfrau said...

hey Alfia! i will see you tomorrow morning! and i wanted to tell you my real name is Tova :)

alfia said...

Hi, Tova! I am delighted to meet you virtually and very excited to meet you in person! Very pretty name you have.

Boodiba - thanks! Whining has its rewards. How else would I get your adivice? Which I already started to apply. Sigh... I could do only 5reps at a time, so my workout yesterday consisted only of 45 reps. I am going to build up from here. See what I mean by the lack of strength?

Boodiba said...

We all have to start somewhere. If you could see me struggle with certain aspects of bendy you'd have a laugh. I think it's easier to build strength than flexibility, though others would argue with that!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo