Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ashtanga yoga seems to be somewhat different from what i've done before.

It is not like I have a lot of experience. Not really. I have been taking once a week Iyengar classes for three years, and hatha-yoga classes for another three. I have never done Anusara, or Bikram. I have taken Ashtanga classes on and off during that time too, before I started my regular Mysore-type practice six months ago. So, from my limited experience, so far I noticed the following differences:
1. The intensity is higher
2. Ujjayi breath is used throughout the whole practice
3. Emphasis on bandhas
3. Vinyasa style
3. Daily practice
4. Same poses over and over.
5. Yogis of different levels of experience practice together.
This one is quite striking for a novice. It is very inspiring to see the ease and beauty of the poses done by the masters. On the other hand, the same ease brings about the false expectations that the pose can be done here and now, and deep frustration, when it does not work.
6. There is a "reward" system in place
When you are doing well and not "skipping classes", you get a new pose. In my case, by the time I reach my end poses, I catch myself stalking the instructor with my eyes, trying to assess his current mood, whether he is paying attention to me and the progress of my practice, and so on. Excellent place to work on that ego, I guess!

I am trying to curb my impatience. I know am not ready. I am still not over all aches and pains that the transition from a "once a week yoga" to a "daily intense practice" brought. My hamstrings need healing, hips need opening, abs and arms need strengthening, and stamina needs to be acquired. I understand that this impatience also come from the deep fear that I started too late and do not have much time left for the physical aspect of yoga. Which is silly, because I personally know amazing yogis, deep into their fifties and sixties, who have beautiful practice. So I guess it is time to tell myself to stop worrying about how far I can get and just enjoy the ride!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alfia, good analysis... it is the humble lesson: after 5 years of ashtanga yoga, I am still saying those same things to myself... well of course there is some progress, but the message is still the same. So welcome to the most frustating way of life!

alfia said...

Oh, no! I was hoping that I will acquire wisdom and serenity after a year or two of doing Ashtanga...
You just shattered my high hopes and expectations! :D

crankyhausfrau said...

not frustrating! rewarding! hi Alfia! i am going to be moving to the DC area soon-ish. i am going to be there next week!

alfia said...

Hello, housefrau! I guess we'll be seeing each other then - there are not too many hoices for ashtanga people here. Welcome to DC and good luck with the move!

armani said...

heya, just found your blog and wanted to delurk and say hi. Your observations about ashtanga vs. other types of yoga are so true.

alfia said...

Hi, Armani!
Nice to meet you!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo