Saturday, February 23, 2008

No yoga, but some mangosteens...

Saturday is my yoga-free day. No yoga – not much to write about. Which kind of shows that there is not much going on in my life lately. I did my cardio/weight workout with podfitness and went grocery shopping to a newly discovered H-Mart. I love prices there – beautiful apples for 99c/lb, artichokes 2 for 1.29 and so on. They also had an amazing selection of fish, and that resulted in a demise of my vegetarian raw diet at least for today. My husband cooked fried flounder and it was super delicious. I also bought mangosteens there to try. Checked on the internet – they are just pleasant to eat, but nothing special in nutrition value. Very expensive, though. Well, at least I could take some pictures. Here they are, together with ginger for some reason:





7 comments:

Arturo said...

hi alfia

mangosteens are high in antioxidants, so they are nutritious. i actually think you're lucky to be able to get them. around here we probably get them in the asian markets.

mangosteen
cheers, arturo

alfia said...

Hi, Arturo:
My understanding is that only colored fruit have antioxidants. Mangosteens are totaly colorless.
There is still a hype around them because they are hard to get; the bottle of mangosteen juice at Costco costs around $13. In reality they seems to be worthless, unfortunately.

Unknown said...

that is a beautiful photo!

i do agree with you regarding their antioxidant content (or rather, their lack of antioxidants).

anyway, isn't super-h mart great!? i took aliya there once and he was quickly initiated into the world of "crazy, angry, old asian grandmas" fighting for the best produce! it was loads of fun for him. (^_^)

alfia said...

I totally did not see any angry asian grandmas - everybody was very nice there! I wish we had one a little closer, I would shop there all the time.

crankyhausfrau said...

i am so glad you have the picture of the open mangosteen! i was going to google it to see how to eat it! that was such a sweet gift! will you be at practice tuesday or thursday morning?

alfia said...

Hi, Cranky! It was so very nice to meet you today. You have such a beautiful practice. What a great kapotasana!
Yep, I think I will be practicing the whole week without interruption, if God permits.

crankyhausfrau said...

wonderful! i will see you then hopefully! i am going to eat my mangosteen now.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo