Thursday, February 14, 2008

The beginning

OK, I think I do need this blog after all, just to keep track of my Ashtanga practice. I do not expect it to be in any way entertaining for anybody, myself included. In addition, English is not my first language, so my writing might be irritating to some English-language purists. My apologies. I have another blog that I keep in Russain to track my weight-loss efforts. It is in a great coomunity of very nice, intelligent and supportive people. I realised, however, that my ashtanga posts are not well understood there, and are, in most likelyhood very boring for the forum regulars. Hence - new blog.
I am a middle age, overweight woman, who enjoys yoga immensely. I started my yoga practice seven years ago, at my peak weight of 203 pounds, and very poor health, both physical and emotional. I tried desperately to loose weight, but could do little since physical efforts induced asthma attacks, and the challenges and stresses of graduate school I was attending were not conducive to my efforts of loosing weight.
I remember very vividly my first yoga class. I was the oldest and the fattest person there. I could not do either a table pose or downdog, because both of my wrists were agonizingly sore. I have come a long way from that summer. I finished a yoga teacher certification program, lost 30 lbs and regained my health. Though there is still a need to loose another 20 lbs (or decrease my body fat by 8%), I seem to be in the best physical shape of my life. Six months ago I started Ashtaga practice (morning Mysore, 5 times a week). Now I am doing the complete Primary(well, not completely complete...).
I still struggle in many poses of the 1s. Janu C is completely impossible for me now. I could do it in the beginning, but then I blew both of my knees, so I am not even attempting it now. Can't jump back or jump through with straingt legs. Can't fold myself into supta kurmasana. Can't do chakrasana or stand up from a wheel pose. But I think it all will come eventually...

5 comments:

Yogamum said...

Just stopping in to say hi! I can identify with your "journey" as I too was significantly overweight when I started ashtanga. I'm not quite where I'd like to be but the practice has transformed my body and my life.

Namaste!!

Rebirth2017 said...

Congrats to you Alfia!! I will enjoy checking in on your blog to see how it's going for you!
All the best!

alfia said...

Thank you, yogamum and bhakti yogi!
I appreciate your support.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alfia,

You know I've been following your blog recently, but I never had much time to go back in time to check your older posts. Now I"m doing it, just before breaking for lunch. I knew I admired you before, but I wanted to let you know that you are a real source of inspiration for me now. It's just so nice to read about all you have achieved for yourself, and about your discipline, commitment and persistence. You make me think that maybe one day I will be able to do more than now, with my day to day frustrations (this week was awful for me). Thank you so much.

alfia said...

Oh, Nairam, what a nice thing to say! Thank you so much! You just made my day.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo