Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sisters of visitation and groins of steel

The immunology training I am taking now takes place in the Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences, which is located in the former convent building. I love the place! They did a great job in preserving the spirit of the cloisters. The rooms still have the names like "Superioress' Cabinet dedicated to our Holy Mother Longanimity" and "Procuratrix's office dedicated to St. Martha Ardent Charity". There are tall widows along the corridors, a beautiful inner yard and tiny rooms in which the nuns lived. This monastery belonged to the Roman Catholic order of the Sisters of the visitation. This order was founded in France by St. Frances de Sales and St. Jane Frances de Chantal in 1610. The sisters were completely cloistered from the outsiders, using screens, separate passages and other devices. The order was dedicated to contemplation. I tried to imagine myself being one of them and actually felt peace to descent on me. Which is weird, because I am so not a nun material!
In other, unrelated news - I have a new yoga-related pain now, in my groins. I know, I know, very exciting for everyone! I think it is a psoas muscle that was weak and now is overused (definitely not overstretched). Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana B is very painful, as well as my pitiful attempts to lift the legs up the transition from Upavistha Konasana A to Upavistha Konasana B. Every time when I sit for a long tme (like, for example, yesterday and today i had three lectures three hours long each), as soon as I start moving, a movement that brings a leg forward is very painful. After walking for a while the pain subsides. Stretching does not substantially help, so I do not know what to do. Should I take it easy and let it heal? Or should I just bite the bullet and wait when the pain goes away and my groins turn into groins of steel? Any advice?

5 comments:

lilalia said...

I was a boarder at a convent in Montreal in my teen years. That is before they kicked me out. The experience made me unhealthily addicted to nun jokes.

Sorry to hear about your pains. Hope someone can help. Hope you can figure it out.

crankyhausfrau said...

pain is a good indicator of when to back off. is it fatigue pain or irritation pain? if it is an irritation, i would back off before it becomes an injury. maybe just a day or two off, or taking things really lightly?

alfia said...

Lilalia - that is funny! :D

Tova - I am not sure what kind of pain it is, but this morning I realised that I could not do Sun Saluts B (bringing a leg forward from ddog into lunge - painful); so I decided to skip my practice altogether. I hope I did not injure anything yet :( Hopefully by tomorrow it will be better. See you tomorrow?

Arturo said...

hi alfia
my teacher recommends pelvic exercises for these kinds of thigs - SI-joint issues, psoas, etc. it involves simple exercises while sitting or laying on the floor on the mat, using small diameter balls or rolled towels. i've referred to the book she recommended, pelvic power, by eric franklin, which i got from pilates.com. i ordered small diameter balls by sport-time called all-balls from greatlakessports.com. hope that helps. (i also bought the book "back sense" recommended by a master teacher, but i haven't read it yet.) 10 minutes once or twice a day of these exercises help.

alfia said...

Thank you so much, Arturo! I will definitely get the pelvic power book. This pain scares me. I do have a couple of small inflatable balls, they might be of help here.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo