Monday, February 25, 2008

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

I again had a turbo practice this morning, also known as a half-ass practice. There was no need for that, honestly speaking. Though I had to be at work by seven, I knew that the studio would be open since like, the day before. Aliya was teaching from 5:45, so he finished his practice just before that; which also meant that he came what, at 3? Why bother going to bed, I wonder. I, on the other hand, slept till late, came to studio at 5:40 and half-assed my practice. Lazy bum. On the other hand I am glad that I got my beauty sleep. This whole week I am on immunology training - half day lectures, half day lab. I think I am a borderline narcoleptic and do not need any additional challenges in staying awake. Especially when I do not have a trusted friend by my side to kick me, when my snoring gets too loud. So far lectures were pretty good, I snoozed only a couple of times, no more.

I really liked Boodiba's method of keeping track of 'extracurricular' yoga practice. I do some asanas at home at night, but I do not have a system and do not keep any records. I was doing hip openings stretches with a chair a couple of weeks ago, which helped me immensely with my supta kurmasana. But afterwards I started concentrating on my handstand for some reason and my hips stiffened up again. I need a plan, something like concentrating on one problem area each week. Plus 45+ push-ups every Tuesday and Saturday. Especially pay attention to the backbends which suck so badly. I used to be a decent backbender, but the primary does not promote backbending at all. Now I work on getting up from the wheel pose, and it just does not work because of the suckiness of my backbend, I think. I feel for my instructors - helping me to lift all my 170 lbs can not be easy. So here, today I will make "the plan" and I will stick to it. Mark my words!

6 comments:

Yoga Chickie said...

Just do your practice, Alfia. You don't need all that other stuff. You wake up sooooo early, you must be exhausted. Just be happy you have the energy to do your practice! :)

alfia said...

Do you mean no extracurricular yoga? What else is there to do for fun then? :D

alfia said...

Cranky, thank you so much! It was like a whiff of Christmas all of a sudden! :)

crankyhausfrau said...

you are very welcome! i hope the smell is pleasant to you!
i was hoping to get to chat with you for a minute, maybe thursday of friday morning. i had to run out this morning to get my girl to school!

LI Ashtangini said...

Alfia, I've seen your backbends and they are not 'sucky'!

alfia said...

Li, you just had a flattering angle to observe. I need to progress to the intermediate soon, otherwise my backbends may never recover!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo