Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I am very, very lame.


Here is a picture of the window next to the bathroom in the convent of the Sisters of Visitation:


It is so much prettier in life!



I skipped my practice today and the groin pain is practically gone. Now I am contemplating whether to rest another day or return to practice tomorrow? I miss my practice but I am afraid to injure something so that I would not be able to practice even longer. Ugh, I am so out of touch with my own body!

Anyway, here is the reason why I am lame. I mentioned before that I do not have much life. In America, as much as I understand it, having life means having lots of social interactions, accompanied by stimulating environment. Simply speaking, it is "having fun" in a loud, bright, and a little dangerous way. I do not do that. I do get some enjoyment from parties and bar hopping, but I do not crave them. In fact, I avoid them. Must be the old age. So what do I do for fun? Most of the time - watch tv. I know, one can not possibly be lamer. Sometimes, I do photography if I manage to drag my fat ass out of the house. But it doesn’t happen very often. So here. I am b-o-r-i-n-g.

Here is the list of shows that I watch. I have to mention that every time my wonderful and intelligent husband passes by while one of them is on, he cringes and gives me a dirty look.

These ones I think are more or less decent:
Monk
Psych
Lost
House
Grey's anatomy
Bones
Dexter
Desperate housewives

These are so-so:
Stargate Atlantis (I liked SG-1 and Jason Momoa is hot)
Terminator – Sarah Connor chronicles (no good reason)

I am kind of embarrassed that I like these:
One tree hill
Gossip girl
Samantha who
Moonlight
Cashmere mafia
Big shots
October Road
Kyle XY
Greek

Since I am rather busy, I never watch anything in real time; all of them are tivo'ed, so I can watch them whenever I want and to avoid commercials. I also combine tv-watching with food preparation/shirts ironing/apartment cleaning. The only house chores that I can't combine with tv, are toilet cleaning and dish washing. So those I do, listening to the books on my ipod. So much for mindful living. I do talk to my husband sometimes. But the last year and a half he was very busy with his preparation for the CFA examination (first - level 1, now - level two). Since there are 3 available levels for CFA, I guess I have another 1-2 years of uninterrupted tv watching.

9 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

first, can we clarify that you are by no means fat? you are an entirely normal sized person.
and also, i do not have a life. i never go out. well, sometimes, to dinner with my husband or girlfriends. i do yoga, i take care of my kids and my house, i teach some yoga, i read blogs. sometimes i read a book. but i am very content. if that is lame, so be it :)
if you take another rest from practice tomorrow, i hope i will see you friday?

alfia said...

Thank you, Tova!
I am not complaining about my life, I like it. It is just other people's lives seem so much more exciting, or something.
I think I will take a day off tomorrow, but I will definitely come on Friday.
Tova, do you teach Ashtanga? Would you like me to introduce you to the owner of Sun and Moon yoga studio where I teach? What are your plans in terms of teaching in DC area?

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, this is exciting, Tova teaching in DC!

Neither of you are lame! I haven't watched as much this year but in the past I have been addicted to Grey's Anatomy, partially because I think I am all dark and twisty like Meredith! HA!

alfia said...

Dark and twisty Annabella! How very non-lame!

alfia said...

unlame? lameless? cool?
English is hard...

Ursula said...

I do not have a life either. Hahaha.

Everything is life. But to do more yoga and watch less TV could be a good idea.

I liked your post, so honest. I know times in my life where I switched on the TV in the morning and the last thing I did at night was to witch it off. (but German TV is a bit better then the American programmes)

Have an exciting day. ursula

Unknown said...

you are SO NOT lame! one thing i've noticed about this practice is that it can be so personal and internalized... and quite frankly, it can make a "social life" a bit difficult. when you go to bed early and wake before the sun rises, that doesn't leave much room for partying! (^_^) aliya and i have often admitted to each other that we are introverted loners who tend to hang out at home with the dog and cat. and OMG, at least you know what shows are on TV! we don't own a TV so um... yeah.

anyway, you are totally NOT lame. you are the most wonderful, sweetest people i know.

alfia said...

Ursula:
"to do more yoga and watch less TV could be a good idea". So wise. I totally agree! I just need to gather willpower and do it!

alfia said...

Thank you, Rayna!
I think you are right in a sense that early-morning Mysore practitioners do not have much life by definition. When one goes to bed at 9 - no time for friends. The only problem here is - how do I find time for all that tv watching?

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo