Sunday, January 18, 2009

Delusions of immortality

I grew up close to a cousin who was two years younger. Being older, I was an instigator of all kinds of shenanigans, for which as a rule only he got in trouble. He did not seem to mind though; invariably he would come over and play with me, pretending to be an Indian from the books of James Fenimore Cooper, a pirate searching for the treasure, or just competing in climbing the highest tree. I eventually outgrew my mischievousness and became an adult. He, on the other hand, stayed in the childhood perpetually, only pretending to be serious. On the surface, he looked a lot like Tim Russert, just yonger. My cousin died yesterday.
There is something to be said of being a child in a man's body. Children think they would live forever; they do not take care of themselves. Over the years, my cousin grew overweight and developed a bunch of ailments, including diabetes, which went undiagnosed. He learned about them only three days before his death. He had a stroke, which was undoubdetly a result of unhealthy living. People just shouldn't die in their early forties. My heart is so heavy now. I am thinking about all my other relatives and friends left back in Kazakhstan; how inadequate the health care is there; what kind of unhealthy traditional diet they are eating and how little they can do to improve their health because they are in a constant struggle for survival. So sad.

16 comments:

Arturo said...

oh, I'm sorry about the loss of your cousin, Alfia.
hugs
Arturo

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Alfia.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your cousin.
Hugs
Globie

Rebirth2017 said...

Dear Alfia,
So sorry about your cousin.I've known people in my family to be the same way. The hardest thing is that we can't change them, we can only love 'em.

Sending you support :)
Love,
ABY

Nairam said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, my dear Alfia. My warmest hugs to you.

Nairam

Alin said...

Oh Alfia, I'm so sorry. May you find comfort in time.

susananda said...

Sorry to hear this Alfia :(

My friend had a stroke this summer due to unhealthy living.. she hasn't been her former self, much diminished.. finally quit smoking last week, I hope it sticks.

My Dad died due to smoking, drinking and bad diet too.. in his 50s..

Sorry for rambling. So frustrating.

alfia said...

Thank you, friends! You make me feel better.

Exactly, Susan! That is what I feel - frustration and anger. Why do people behave so self-destructively? Don't they care about people who care about them?

Anonymous said...

My Mum gave up smoking the day she had her first heart bypass 15 years ago. I couldn't believe that others who had the same operation were going outside to smoke as soon as they could get out of bed.You just can't help some people.

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear this story. My thoughts are with you, Alfia.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

My dad lives very dangerously, too. I suppose he was always healthy and strong so he thinks it will last forever...

I'm so sorry about your cousin. It's very sad. I'll be thinking of you today and hoping you've got plenty of hugs and support.

Liz said...

Hi Alfia,
Your story wrenched my heart. I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. Sounds like you were a huge influence on him and allowed him to have a fun life.

alfia said...

I really appreciate your support, friends. I love our community. I love that we take risks of falling on a face or on the top of a head, not smoking or drinking or eating in excess. Not all of us will live long, perhaps, but at least we will not die from a sheer stupidity.

Elaina said...

I'm so sorry sweet Alfia!

Sending good thoughts your way.

Love,
E

LI Ashtangini said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin!

Anonymous said...

Hello sweet, just read this - I am sorry about your cousin. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo