Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Icy morning

I so love snow days! Even though we did not get one at work, my evening lecture was canceled, and I spent leisurely evening watching all the shows I have missed recently. Boy that felt good. I think this constant time pressure dries out my soul. I needed this therapy evening.

This morning I was all ready to go to practice. I was a little late, so I jumped out of the front door and immediately fell. Got up, fell again. The sidewalks were pure ice. Made it to my car, and discovered it was completely covered in a layer of ice even thicker than on the sidewalk. Eyed the shiny driveway and decided against going to Mysore. Such a wimp! Went back home, watched TV for an hour, had a lazy-ass slow yin practice and steeled myself for going out again. The driveway was already treated, thank God! It took some time to de-ice my car, and I am at work. It seems many people had the same problem, because the garage was half-empty and there is an echo in the corridors. I like it this way. Nobody to distract me, and I can do whatever I want. Just regret missed practice, but otherwise feel really good.

Anyway, about practice. Back pain is practically gone, and I even attempted standing up from UD again. I have been practicing Lagu vajrasana dips so much that my quads are killing me now. But maybe that helped my backbending problem, who knows. I do feel the engagement of the hip flexors and quads a little more (maybe because they are sore from home practice), so The Plan might be working. Yay!

Keep warm, everyone!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing! I got all put together to walk b/c I don't trust the yahoos on the roads here. I skated to the end of my block and decided that if I went any further I'd break something. So I turned around for a nice practice of sleepasana. :) Hope you have a productive ice day :)

alfia said...

That might be a smart thing to do, but my body is complaining. I felt unusually good for practice today. Bummer!
I like sleepasana! :D My favorite pose.

Anonymous said...

Maybe tomorrow your body will be even better! A little more time to repair and rest.

crankyhausfrau said...

i bailed, too. just one look outside and i knew it was not worth the risk.

alfia said...

I bet that Aliya and Rayna were there. Just to make us feel bad, that is. :D

crankyhausfrau said...

if they did, i imagine they metroed. Rayna should not have been walking on that ice though.

rayna said...

oh... we were there. (^_^) but fortunately we can walk inside the apartment complex right into the garage where the car is parked so no ice skating for me! except right outside the shala. it was totally mysore lite, and you ladies were smart to stay in, cozy, and warm. alfia, i am at work too... *sigh*

Rebirth2017 said...

Shala hopes dashed here too but I've already had one fairly significant "ice incident" in my life and don't plan on another any time soon :)

Stay warm at the office and hopefully it will be just rain, no ice when you leave.

Hugs,
ABY

aliya said...

It was kind of fun ice skating with Sophia when I took her out. I saw the steps and laughed out loud before we ventured out for the pee time. Good times! :-D

Alin said...

I admire your attempt! You actually left the house with the intention of practicing on an icy cold morning. Impressive.

The relative silence and calm snow/ice casts over a city is the only good thing about winter. That, and cute hats!

alfia said...

Hi, Aby! I know what you mean. I would be really upset with myself have I broken anything. Having bodies intact important for the practice, right?

Alin, I had no idea what was going on out there. Being a real baby, I would probably just stay home, have I checked the weather in advance. No heroism here, trust me. :D

Hi, Aliya: You and Rayna are my heroes.
I bet that Sophia enjoyed the snow very much!

Anonymous said...

Of course you should have bailed, silly rabbit! I wouldn't have gone to practice either this morning if I had to drive, and in NYC it was mostly snowy at that time of day, no ice!

I shall see you in March, I am coming down to see the cherry blossoms (and you and Tova and etc., etc., cupcakes, meoweth)

alfia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alfia said...

You just made my day, Anna! Can't wait for you to come. Woo-hoo!

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
oo, be careful with those falls; (to you and Portside, and all of your in the NE). you don't want to break anything
hugs
Arturo

Liz said...

Hi Alfia,
Sorry I'm always so late to comment..
I laughed when I read about your Laghu dips because I've been there myself. I don't love the pose now, but I don't dread it and hate it and judge myself miserably over it anymore. When I first started learning it and just dropped to a heap on the floor, a friend who does it with ease said, "You must have weak quads". YES! yes, dammit, I have weak quads.

Just know that building up the strength to do the pose will really, really come in handy for hovering to get Kapo.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo