Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Baby steps.

Yesterday's practice sucked. Not all the way, but I still could not get up from UD, and once even crash-landed trying. I had this feeling that this barely-acquired skill is gone, and probably forever. Brrrrr, scary thought! One of the explanations that Tova suggested was that I was too tired by the end of the practice. Took some measures yesterday - had a bath before bed and went to bed half an hour earlier. Big difference this morning - I felt better, and I did stand up, twice. Did not really attempt to do it in the third UD, but from dropbacks - worked. Sigh of relief. Why just two times - well, I believe in baby steps, so these are mine. I am still too afraid to hurt my back the way I did it recently, so I am being prudent. Not lazy. Oh, be silent!

7 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

i read somewhere, that having backbending at the end of practice is great tool for learning how to pace yourself through your practice. you know that the backbends are at the end you you have to coonserve some energy for that. when i would self practice i would skip drop backs a few times a week. i think if you have a very bendy spine you are more prone to injury in the backbend because the spine will just keep bending if you have run out of strength to hold back a little bit.

alfia said...

Hi, Tova:

Yep, pacing is not my strong suit. I will think about it more. Today was interesting, though - I picked up a rather brisk pace, really not stopping between the poses, and felt less tired, than yesterday. That extra 30 min make a huge difference.

I got some of the stuff you brought today. Can't wait to go home and try them on! :) Thank you, Tova!

LI Ashtangini said...

Not lost.....still there I think. Silly lady. I hope to be down to visit in a few weeks!

alfia said...

Hi, Sonya!
Excellent! Have not seen you in a while. Missed you!

Anonymous said...

It was also harder for me to stand up when my practice ended at krounchasana - I think it's because of the forward bending action in that pose and also pasasana. I experienced the same thing when my practice ended with th LBH poses.

Dropbacks can be unpredictable, but hey, congrats on the new pose.

alfia said...

Hi, Rick:

Thank you for stopping by. This is interesting! I did not think my trouble was in any way connected to the last poses. I will see what happens on Friday, the primary day.

rayna said...

i am sending you my happy back-bending thoughts! i am sure you have not lost them!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo