Monday, June 1, 2009

Can we start this week over, please?

My new diet is not without glitches. Yesterday I tried a slushy mixture of frozen medley (cherries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) in pomegranate juice and loved it. Strong taste, but very pleasant. This morning I decided to repeat this recipe before practice and regretted it already on my way to shala. Heartburn and big, loud burps, combined with feeling of movement inside the belly. As a result, the practice was not a happy one. Every time I was upside down, my heartburn got worse and I was feeling a little sick. Tried to get myself into supta kurmasana without any success. Aliya came by and squeezed me into the pose and out of me a big, loud, juicy fart. Feeling sick to my stomach in both figurative and literal way, I briefly considered quitting yoga or switching back to Iyengar, but this passed by the end of the practice. I guess breakfast is not a good place for experimentation after all. The funny thing is that after practice I felt absolutely fine, no heartburn or burping. Go figure.

13 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

i ws right next to you and i missed the toot.

Boodiba said...

Oh you poor thing!!!

See why diets are bad?

alfia said...

Tova, you left already when the thing happened. Thank God!

alfia said...

Hi, Linda!
Isn't it awful? I still like my diet, though. :D

Boodiba said...

I farted really loud during a night time vinyasa class once. That damned wheat grass juice...

I never had it again :)

Anonymous said...

Have you tried soy milk before class? I find that it kills the hunger without bloating.

alfia said...

Hi, Anon:

I have not tried it, but certainly will. Sounds good, thank you!

Liz said...

Alfia, this made me laugh out loud... the horror of the fart slipping out... I like how you called it "the thing".

Good luck in the future! I don't know how in the world you're only eating fruits. I'd freak out and eat a whole bag of chips.

alfia said...

Hi, Liz!
Funny how everyone seems to be freaked out just from the idea of eating only fruit. To me it sounded so natural and delightful. Maybe you are all are just more evolved creatures, while I am much closer to my monkey ancestors?

Liz said...

well, I guess it's the thought of always eating something juicy and sweet- which I love, but what about crunch? Not apple crunch, real crunch! And hot? What about hot? And bready... yes, what about bready? mmm.. See, I am not one for all fruit. I'm part fruit.

Hey, if it works for you, that's all that matters!

Nairam said...

Ooops! :) Sorry to hear that the experiment went bad...

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
hehe. i would understand the embarrassment. i would think it was the quantity and the timing of when you ate that caused the problem. maybe just a little fruit or some juice would have sufficed. a big portion would have needed maybe an hour and a half or 2 perhaps before practice. fruit usually causes those symptoms you describe when eaten after a heavy meal, not on an empty stomach, typically. it could also be that the diet you're following is almost entirely frutarian, so that there is more of the same types of food in your stomach tract and not enough balance of other foods, leading to some acidity. that's just my opinion. when i did fit for life, the mornings were entirely frutarian. i had to start introducing some grain because i was ravished-hungry by 10:00am if i only ate fruit.
hugs
Arturo

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
-from what i'm studying- as long as the differential concentration was not 700 parts per million, the odor comfort criteria related to this human bio-effluent was satisfied. i thought you'd appreciate the (scientific) chuckle.
hugs
Arturo
word verif: pumesian (stone)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo