Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kapotasana blues

I have been feeling down for a while now. It is mostly ashtanga funk, the rest of my life is more or less OK. The name of this misery - well, kapotasana, of course. I am so sad about the whole thing, I did not want to write, read or even think about ashtanga lately. Dreading the pose poisoned my joy of practice completely and making myself to go to Mysore became an exercise in willpower. In addition, I hurt myself again.
It all started with waking up with a crick in the neck. Nothing new, happens when I go to bed too tired and not move enough in sleep. I went to practice, and it made it worse. Now this is a surprise, because normally yoga always helped in these situations. But I never practiced kapotasana before, and this was the pose that made a difference for the worse. Pain moved from my neck and settled in the upper back, between shoulder blades. It was so bad, pushing a door open with one hand cause sharp pain, leaving me gasping for air for a moment. It was painful to take full inhalations, sit, stand, lie down. Whew. Went to get a massage with Keith. He discovered a string of brand-new knots between my shoulder blades on both sides. The massage itself was painful, but I felt much better afterwards. So good that I practiced on my own at home, carefully and gently, but including some backbends. This morning - the pain is back, not as bad as it was, but bad enough to keep me seated like I just swallowed a stick.
I googled the upper back pain and it seems that the injury to that area is extremely rare. But again, they are talking about normal people, not ones who try to stick their noses between the feet bending backward.
So it has been nearly a week I am on and off in pain. If I were smart, I would go to see a doctor. But then I think that he would tell me just to stop doing what I am doing and everything will be fine. I can't imaging any disk problems in the chest area, because the column just does not bend backwardly there. It doesn't. There are spikes on the vertebrae that prevent that bending. On the other hand, something obviously irritated the outgoing nerves to make the rhomboid muscles bulge up. Movement of the ribs? I noticed before that really good backbenders have their ribcage sticking up when in a deep backbend, so I was trying to emulate the movement, so this is a possibility. I am not sure, though, if there is a proximity of the ribs and the nerves that exit the spinal cord. Anyway, if it is not vertebrae and the disks, then it can't be anything serious, right? Right?

12 comments:

Boodiba said...

"But again, they are talking about normal people, not ones who try to stick their noses between the feet bending backward." Once me & my former friend Annabella were booking a flight out to California, and we used Kapotasana as a "condition" to get the bulkhead seats. I think that's what they're called - the ones right in front of the aisle. She was on the phone with Jet Blue ordering and requested them, saying, "We have Kapotasana." Too funny. It worked.

Anyway big hug for you. I'm sorry you are blue. I think your body will adjust.

alfia said...

Hi, Linda! Very funny story. :)

Thank you for the hug - you made me feel better. I think my body will adjust, too - I am not the first one and not the last one to have problems with this pose. My consolation is that it is not the lower back - I would be really concerned about it!

Boodiba said...

Oh even lower back is fixable.

It took me two years of effort to be able to get into the pose, complete with two, month-long visits to Venki in India. And it's STILL not a pretty entry! Some things take oodles of intermittent patience.

Also I had a bulging vertabra once that was so bad, if I sat in the subway and leaned back, I'd shoot forward again. I mean it was pretty bad. I fixed it though.

Patience! Extra credit work! And if worse comes to worse, maybe a little help with chiropracting and/or acupuncture.

susananda said...

Hi Alfia,

Could you maybe have torn an intercostal muscle a bit, and the parts where the knots are had tensed up to compensate? I ask because that causes the same kind of sharp pain in activities like, oh, breathing...

Either that or you are tensing between the shoulder blades in the pose and need to learn a new pattern of relaxing there?

Acupuncture sounds like a good idea... hope it feels better soon.

You will love this pose one day!!
:) x

alfia said...

Linda, that sounds awful. I am glad it went away. Disk and vertebrae issues scare the hell out of me. Whew!

alfia said...

Susan, hi!

What you say makes a lot of sense. I blamed the intercostals in the beginning, but I think I couldn't have torn several of them on both side of the spine.
Now tensing seems like an interesting idea. I have not thought about it. But it makes sense, because I am in a full panic mode every kapotasana, so it is quite probable I tense everywhere, including the rhomboids. I will try to pay attention, as soon as I heal that is.

Thank you, ladies. I just realized how badly I needed the support. I hope I will love this pose one glorious day. :)

Boodiba said...

You'll be fine Alfi. Patience, patience.

I also do swear by Susananda's suggestion of acupuncture. I haven't had a tweak in a long time that I needed help with. Right now I'm in series of treatments for emotional / energetic tweaking. Maybe you could ask some of your local yogi friends & get a recommendation?

Verification: baconfoo

alfia said...

Acupuncture sounds like a great idea, Linda. We actually have a wonderful person in our shala who practices it. Being a yogi, he is no stranger to all kinds of ashtanga injuries. Hopefully he works on Friday.
Thank you for reminding me! :)

Boodiba said...

I really enjoy just having an excuse to go for acupuncture. If I had a bigger budget I'd probably go once a week.

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
sorry i've taken so long to comment. i'm sorry you feel injured. i think it will pass. it may take a week. i remember a similar sharp pain one week a year and a half ago. what caused it then was a similar asana, but there was intervention by a teacher who was not very experienced, or too rough. she was assisting my teacher and when i was in UD, she pushed my shoulders upwards a lot. before she did that she told me to relax and make a noise like horse (i'm not kidding) then as i relaxed she pushed me upwards, probably beyond my arm's natural extension at that time. i could not lift my arms the next day. anything i did that required doing so made me yelp. aspirin did not alleviate the pain sufficiently. it took a week for my shoulders to recover and i wasn't able to go to practice the whole week. i think maybe, thinking of my experience, that you may have pushed upwards too much.
hugs
Arturo

Liz said...

Alfia!!
I'm way behind.. how are you doing? Hope you post soon and let us know.

I have no love for Kapo so I hear your pain. I don't know if I'd go a far as Susan and say one day you'll love it, but there are some pretty awesome benefits from doing it (for me, opening my shoulders and chest in a way that has made me stand up straighter!).

Anonymous said...

Dear Alfia,

Sorry to hear you've been feeling so bad :( I cannot offer much advice or insights, unfortunately, but I"m crossing fingers for the pain to be gone very soon.

Many hugs,

N

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo