Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I like ashtanga again. I think.

Several massages, being cautious in my practice and just generally taking it easy made my aversion to all things ashtanga subside a little. I somewhat re-acquired the enthusiasm for practice, though I still can't manage more than a three day Mysore week.

So while I was away:

1) Attended Simon Park's workshops at Flow yoga. Super-nice person, fun and challenging flows, I got some progress going in my handstands. I was happy but a little surprised at my lack of stamina. I think that vinyasa classes that I teach are just as challenging, but then again, I teach them, not do them. Note to self - add some cardio, Saturdays perhaps?

2) Kapotasana is a little better. My back is no longer shocked after it, and backbends are just fine. I would say that UD became better because of kapotasana. But I still can't stand up from kapotasana B. David thinks it is purely psychological (it took me forever to learn to stand up from UD). But I think it is my alleged lack of psoas minor. A girl can blame her ashtanga problems on anatomical deficiencies, right? It is a basic human right.

3) Had an energy correcting session with a shaman-in-training. Do not ask.

4) Am excited but also dreading upcoming immunology teaching starting this January.

5) Nearly all the weight that I lost with such difficulty this year came back. Makes me sad. Can't bind supta kurmasana on my own. Can't bind wrist in Mari C, D and pasasana. Somebody, please slap me.

I am going to read your blogs now. Ciao!

4 comments:

Kaivalya said...

Aw, I hear ya, girl! I'm going through a rough spot with my practice too.

You'll bounce back (we both will)! Keep smiling :-)

alfia said...

Hi, Kai:

If anybody will bouce back for sure - it will be you. Your determingation always inspired me.
Thank you for your support, darling! :)

Anonymous said...

"3) Had an energy correcting session with a shaman-in-training. Do not ask." You are funny!

Ashtanga, vinyasa, it's all just shapes we make with our bodies. Do what moves you, when it moves you.

P.S., of course a girl can blame ashtanga problems on anatomical deficiencies. My arms are still too short for laghuvadrasana. Not that I care anymore, but they are!

alfia said...

Hi, Anna! Good to hear from you, :)

My arms are way too short, too. Especially for jumpbacks. But I am at peace with that now. For now.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo