Saturday, November 22, 2008

Not a bad week, after all.

First, I got the job! I lost the hope already,but yesterday there was an offer in my e-mail. Whew.

Second, we had a lab outing to the movies yesterday. We watched the "Twilight". Two of us liked it, two didn't. We went to see a 10 am showing, and the theater was full of moms. So funny kids are at school, and the 30 to 50 year-old moms flock to the movies to see a film their teenage daughters are raving about. I did like it - beautiful people, the "Muse" in the soundrack, steaming-hot romance, danger, and friendship - what else can I ask for?

Third, my apartment is going to be renovated in the first week of December. Long time overdue, the walls will be painted, carpet removed and floor finished. For me it means that I need to deal with my voluminous posessions. There are too many of them, and I hope this will force me to go over them with a fine brush and get rid of the majority of them. I can feel already the lightness of being that will bring it, but meanwhile I am dreading the ordeal. I have such a hard time parting with my books and electronics.

The last even of this week was not so good. I had a little heartbreak. Orson Scott Cart was one of my all time favorite authors. I decided to check on him as a person, assuming he should be at least as smart as his characters. Smart he can be, but he is also a rabid conservative, with bitter assays featuring such names as a"fraudmeister Al Gore", hypocrite Obama, and so on. He also considers President Bush to be a smart person and is extrimeley bitter about the liberal bias of the media. Everybody, of course, has a right to their opinion, but for some reason I felt really disappointed. There was nothing in his books that made me cringe, but there was very little in his essays that didn't. For a moment I had a crazy idea that his is playing Demosthenes, the way Valentine did in the "Ender's game", but it does not seem to be the case. Oh, well.

I hope everyone has a beautiful Saturday!

28 comments:

Nairam said...

Wow!!! Awesome news!!!!!! Congratulations on the job!!! You deserved it, after preparing so hard!!!! I'm very glad for you :)

Also, happy to hear about the renovations; it will be exciting to have a refreshed environment!!! :)

Anonymous said...

That's good news with the job, congratulations.

So do you have to put all your stuff in storage or do they move you to another apartment while yours gets renovated?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the job, what is about? Is it something you searched for (and really you like to do) ?
I’ve noticed you do like reading about passion, joy, mystery and magic, and all that scary stuff. ;) There is an excellent book that will split your mind, literally speaking Toni Morrison, “Song of Solomon”.

http://www.amazon.com/Song-Solomon-Toni-Morrison/dp/140003342X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227378788&sr=1-4

Boodiba said...

All your hard work paid off. Congrats!!! That is exciting. My friend Lettuce just got a great new job too. It's feels great to hear good news like this!

alfia said...

Thank you, Nairam and Kevin. I am excited and scared at the same time.

we will in living in the apartment during renovations. They will do one room at a time, walls first, then the floor. We'll be moving around with the stuff. Because we only have 2 rooms, I need to get rid of the most of our belongings. I wanted to do it anyway. But I feel tired just thinking about it...

alfia said...

Thank you, Linda! I did work hard, didn't I?

alfia said...

Thank you, Zee:

This is a part-time teaching position in a local university, to teach immunology twice a week for a semester. I need it because of my lack of teaching experience, which will be useful if I ever decide to go to academia.

Thanks for the reference, I will check it out!

Boodiba said...

You did! I have to say that it's gratifying for me to see, over and over, the determination of our "breed", and by this I mean the Astangi :)

alfia said...

The ashtangi breed? I like it. Makes me feel like I belong. :)
How is your open house going?

Anonymous said...

:) Nice.

Is Washington DC located in Virginia? I don’t know, but this song is so appropriate for the occasion.

Good Luck!

Boodiba said...

I have only met two people but I like both of them.

I DO think we are a breed. When I found the cult, I felt as if I'd finally found "my people".

alfia said...

DC is it's own entity. But Virginia and Maryland are very close. Virginia is across the Potomac river from my home.

Linda, you are right - we are a breed. Slightly off, predominantly type A, doggedly determined breed. :)

Boodiba said...

A little masochistic, fiercely determined, capable of focusing, often creative (and not necessarily in the arts).

Hey any person who'd buck the norm and go through SO MUCH to consistently work in such a rarefied realm of experience? - We can think outside the box, us Astangis...

Anonymous said...

That’s the reason that you are my princess. Exactly. But it is still so early to make any conclusion. We shall see.

alfia said...

I agree with you, Linda!

alfia said...

Thank you, Zee. I am flattered. But you should know there is nothing princessy about me. If you can imaging an antipode of a princess - that is me. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh no Alfi, sorry. The name Princess is for Linda... it refers Boodi.

Boodiba said...

I wish I were! I'm more like an old queen, but not like the kind that live in the west village.

alfia said...

Oh, good. Sorry for the confusion. I had some wine in the sale for saving clouded leopards. Do not hold my liqueur well. Going to bed now. Good night, everyone!
:)

Anonymous said...

Omg. maybe… hmm, both of you confused me now. But who knows, here, everything is possible. :-)

Lindoni, I see that Arturo and Owl siting on my back, all the time… I’m tired of it any more…

Anonymous said...

Alfia, congratulations! that is wonderful - you absolutely deserve it!

Sprinkling pazzles all around you!

: )

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
Congratulations!
Good luck shedding. I should do some myself. I have some kitchen things I don't use. A colleague who left for China left me with 2 boxes and 2 heavy suitcases for me to take care of indefinitely. it's funny because i have limited space.
Cheers,
Arturo

alfia said...

Anna, Arturo, thank you! :)

I like the term "shedding". And do not like your colleague, Arturo. Not very nice to leave lots of stuff behind for you to take care of. Ugh!

Arturo said...

oops, i'm talking too much. it's just a slight bother. he's helped me a lot, by setting up two interviews for me over there in his country. i'm grateful to him.
hugs
Arturo

alfia said...

I see. Sorry, I think it is me, being judgmental again. I apologize, Arturo!
:)

susananda said...

That's great Alfia, congratulations!!!
:)

LI Ashtangini said...

Oooooh, congrats on the new job. That is great news!

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Félicitations, chère Alfia!!!

You deserve it!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo