Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I am back

Why is Palin still in the news? I was under impression that the election was over and it was time for her quietly disappear into obscurity.

Anyway, I am kinda back. Still way too busy, but stress has less urgent nature. PMS is raging, though. Yesterday David could not fold me into SK and I nearly cried. I know that this is nothing, the method "bind hands first, ankles second" never worked for me, but still. I just can't wait until I am able to get into the pose by myself. It is just humiliating at the moment. My dwi pada is progressing, actually. I can get my right foot behind the left, but at this moment my left leg goes flying. Not enough power in the neck to hold them without help of the arms. No matter, the day will come.

My dad is better. He is a real fighter. After losing his wife, having 2 strokes, impared right side and speech, he still has an amazing will to live. I wish I inherited the strength of character from him, not just bad temper and flat feet.

I think my interview went well. Not counting the fact that my flash drive was not recognized by their laptop and I had to explain everything on my fingers. The interesting part is that when I came home, I discovered that it had 3 newly acquired viruses on it. So that laptop refused to show my presentation, but gave me viruses! Tsk, tsk. Not very nice. Anyway, I could not answer a couple of questions from a guy, who was probably a zoologist, and wanted to know the differences between vertebrate and invertebrate immunity. I think I answered the other questions OK, they did not seem to be difficult. We'll see. It is not like I need this job to pay my rent. I will not be too upset if I do not get it.

This weeked the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience starts, and I will get to see Elaina again. :) These meetings are crazy, but lots of fun at the same time. Time to see lots of friends, classmates, former colleagues and new people, too. The best part - it is here in DC this year. I do not have any energy left to travel.

Missed you all. Need to go end see how you all were.
Mwah!


18 comments:

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
i'm glad your father is recuperating. he still seems to be living on borrowed time.

that's unfortunate to get viruses from plugging your USB port into a computer.

you would not imagine what the word verification came up with below. it's related to body functions. i won't repeat it in your nice blog. some programmer has a sense of humor.

hugs
Arturo

Boodiba said...

You are a TROOPER, and so is your dad.

Glad to see you're still out there!

alfia said...

Hi, Arturo:

Thank you! I am glad, too. He might be living on a borrowed time, but he is still just 71, not too old.

Now I am curious about those words on my blog. They seem to mean something for some reason. I got "umpluti" on Rayna's blog. Isn't it funny?

alfia said...

Thank you, Linda! I am here, true. Not quite sane, but here. :)

Boodiba said...

Well the girl who sits next to me now, the one who took my friend Anja's place, just told me today how management had warned her about how "cuckoo" I am. "Crazy, talks a lot" etc. :)

alfia said...

I forgot if I told this story already. My con and I were talking about parents and kids and and one point I indignantly exclamed:"Well, you have normal parents, right? Not crazy at all!". To which he responded: "Mom, do not be so hard on yourself". It seems a little crazy is good. A lot crazy - even better?

alfia said...

I meant my son, of course, not my con... :D

Boodiba said...

I never heard that story before!

I think your son is wise. It's the ones who present themselves as "normal" and "entirely well adjusted" who you have to really watch out for.

Also I think Astangis tend to be pretty much uniformly nuts.

alfia said...

:D

I disagree with the last statement. I think there is a great variety of nuttiness among ashtangis.

Boodiba said...

Oh them's there just semantics. I meant uniformly as in "all of 'em", but not in the exact same ways.

Anonymous said...

Yay, so glad to see you back!!! ;) Have missed your posts :)

And I'm glad to hear your father is doing well!!!

Hugs,

Nairam

susananda said...

Welcome back!! xo

Arturo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great to have you back, hope you get the job, they owe you that for giving you lurgies.

I asked my teacher about binding in SK, she said it should be hands first, but I have found that if I cross my feet first, my thighs are automatically higher up my upper arms shoulders, which gives me more room and less resistance to bring my hands into position around the back, once you're innit who cares how you got there!

alfia said...

Hi, Nairam and Susan! Glad to be back. Still too busy, though :(

alfia said...

Hi, Kevin. Same thing with me - when my hand are bound, the legs get trapped outside the shoulders, not on top of them. The leg bind then is very problematic and never deep. Bleh.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Aflia, I missed your return!! How did that happen?

So glad to hear your dad is doing better--and I'm so glad you're back. I missed you! Have a beautimous weekend.

alfia said...

Hi, JS!
I am back, but only marginally. Upcoming conference is looming over me. :)
Have a wonderful weekend, too!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo