Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Whatever does not kill us makes us stronger, right? Right?

Second day of David Keil's mysore, and I am so sore, no words to express it. It is my own fault - haven't done yoga for a whole week. First, in Chicago, there was no room to do it, and I swam instead. Then I came home and skipped shala due to the ladies holiday. And now I am paying for it big time. It even hurts to breathe - all those tiny muscles between the ribs are not happy at the moment.
Good thing I did not complain, though. David asked a lady on the mat next to mine if she was tired. Sounded very compassionate, too. She sighed exhaustedly - yes. So what does he do? He makes her take full vinyasas for the rest of her practice! You know - those, when you come to samastihi every time. Whew.
On a positive note, it seems that my kapotasana is less sucky now. I was holding my heels both days, and it felt less terryfying than before. In kapotasana B, David somehow elongated my lower back, so it was quite bearable as well. My back was still in shock afterwards, and UD's were close to impossible, but I can feel baby-step progress. Got assistance with the dropbacks and a great squish after.
Tomorrow's practice is going to be interesting, though. The bookshelfs that I ordered from Office Depot arrived yesterday, which is good news. Bad news is that they are "extra tall", which means - do not fit in the elevator. I will have to unpack them downstairs and carry all extra-long pieces to the 4th floor myself, using the stairs. Two double cases - 8 trips at least. My husband is overseas, I do not know anybody in the building, and the super in the building is kind of old. So it is just me, it seems. As I said, mysore morning after will be intriguing.

11 comments:

Grimmly said...

Made her do full vinyasa....think I like this guy : )

word veri is Cootsy, how cootsy is that.

Yoga Chickie said...

If someone is tired, this guy makes them do more? That seems kind of sick in my book...but it also seems to be what some people are looking for, so I suppose it's all good.

Rossana said...

It was great seeing you this morning, Alfia! And thanks for the heads-up not to admit any sort of exhaustion during practice...I'd hate to be doing all those full vinyasas. Yipes!

My word veri is punban. I think it's funny and am tempted to throw in a bad pun...just to see if it gets banned. =p

Liz said...

aw! Alfia, wish I was there to help... that's a lot of trips with bookshelf pieces!

crankyhausfrau said...

aren't i supposed to help with those shelves? why you are not calling me?

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
can you pay someone to help you carry the boards?

i wonder if there is some logic to David's suggestion; maybe the full vinyasa builds strength to the point that you don't feel tired by a regular practice (well if only because you feel how much easier it is to do it without it the next time)

hugs
Arturo

word verif, "hycheou" - bless you. word verifs are always the best chez Alfia.

alfia said...

Hi, Grimmly:

I like this guy a lot. Learned tons from him. He is also just a very pleasant person.

alfia said...

Lauren - I think she was very much OK by the end of the practice. In the end, nobody can make us do anything we can't do, not really. So I think it was not cruel or anything - just a little of tough love.

alfia said...

Hi, Rossana - it was truly wonderful to see you, too. I am looking forward to seeing you in Sun and Moon. :)

alfia said...

Dear Lis, Tova and Arturo - thank you! I actually managed very well. As soon as I un-packed them, they fit into the elevator. It took several trips, but it beats hauling the darn things upstairs any day.

Boodiba said...

I have NEVER done full vinyasa!!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo