Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Teaching yoga is dangerous.

Ashtanga gods are just laughing at me. Next time I need to hide my intention to go to Mysore, just in case. Then jump out of the bed, drive there and find myself practicing. Without preparation or talking about it.
So no, I did not practice today. Because yesterday I got a mighty kick into the eye from a student getting into a handstand. I subbed a very lovely class of rather advanced students and tried to introduce a trick from David kyle' workshop - doing a handstand with one hand on a block (kind of a prep for a one-handed handstand). It feels very weird trying to get into the pose and the students were having problems with it. I was running around, helping to get up. So I leaned forward over this student and in a moment was flying backwards, stars in my eyes. Her heel drove my glasses into a socket of the eye, creating a gush - not very long, but reaching the bone. Blood was pouring down like I was beheaded or something. Good thing it was close to the end of the class, so we settled pretty soon into savasana, with me holding the bag of ice on top of my eye and trying to sooth everybody to let go of the stress of this yoga class.
I might have had a slight concussion, since there was a headache on and off today. In addition, I look a lot like a victim of spousal abuse. But all in all it could have been worse. I taught handstands for a long time and never had any problems, but this was a valuable lesson - one can never be too careful when kicking is involved. :D

14 comments:

Kali Om said...

I think we only have to learn this once: Never try anything new in a class that you're subbing.

Liz said...

Alfia!!!!!

I'm so sorry that happened- what a painful thing to happen. I'm sure the student was mortified.

How is your neck? Take it easy, woman!

alfia said...

Hi, C.K.:

True. But I subbed this class a million times before, and half of the students are in my vinyasa class, should it be a little redemption for my stupidity?

alfia said...

Hi, Liz - thank you!
My student was completely mortified. But this was not her fault at all! I should have been more careful.

I will survive. Just unhappy about my no-practice streak. Who cares about the looks, right?

Kaivalya said...

Eek! That happened to me once. I wasn't teaching, but spotting for someone in an Anusara class. The blow broke my glasses, but my face was fine. I hope your injury heals quickly!

Boodiba said...

I hope you're ok!!

I got kicked in the cheek once assisting my friend Laura in Karandavasana. Greg was teaching me how to assist her there & I'd had some luck but this time I forgot to duck the unbinding legs...

alfia said...

Kai, Linda - thanks! Honest to goodness, never happened to me before... My first lesson was harsh, but instructive :)

Boodiba said...

I've even seen Christopher get pulled over once - assisting a large man in drop backs - and C is as solid as a mountain. I think he slipped in a puddle of sweat on the floor! Shit happens :)

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
oh, sorry that happenned. i was really sorry any time i had a near miss or something with my teacher. one fellow yogi, however, felt remorse that another teacher hurt her back while helping him on assisted dropbacks; she needed a week of recovery time. it's mortifying for the student.
hugs
Arturo

Arturo said...

by the way, i like the new flower bouquet at the heading. hugs.

alfia said...

Thank you, Arturo!
I was just catching up on your blog. Missed a lot, and have a long way to go. Good thing your blog is just a joy to read. :)

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Oh no Alfia! This is an old post, but I'm just reading now! I hope you're all better and there's been no major scarring!

bises from france
Joy

Unknown said...

not to be a smart ass, but why does anyone EVER need to do a one handed handstand? that's a running joke i frequently use when informing students about their future.

alfia said...

Hi, bindithug:

No need indeed, but isn't it fun?

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo