Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dropback challenge, continued.

Yesterday my new attempt to do Iyengar-style dropbacks was not too successful. Managed 7, which was better than last time. But qualitatively speaking, they were totally unsatisfying, stiff, hard, and just icky. Tried it today again, and discovered that doing all the sun salutes beforehand (as oppose to lame-ass table pose warm-ups) helps a lot. Duh.
Still, nothing earth-shattering, just a little progress. Twice - 5 dropbacks at a time, then once - 3 dropbacks (13 in total). Needed rest in between the batches. Obvious lack of stamina, but it should improve as I continue practicing. I got a glimpse of what Grimmly was talking about - a sense of rhythm and meditative quality of the whole thing. Just a glimpse of what to look forward to, but enough for motivation.


Looking at my own dropbacks, I just discovered how much I bend my knees going both down and up. On the positive side - feet stay in pretty firm, just splay a little. This week I will concentrate on hangbacks and see if that helps with going down smoother.

On the other note, we just endured a pretty nice snow storm. It is very pretty outside! Need to go and dig out my car. It will be fun trying to find it - they all look like big white lumps. If only I remembered where I parked on Friday...

Happy Sunday!

5 comments:

Grimmly said...

wow, so graceful and smooth, thought for a second the was in slow motion. Drop backs remind me of Jump back/through, how everyone does them a little differently.

Saw your Yoga ball in the background. I went rummaging for one I remembered us having the other night. Had to blow it up like it was a balloon and shove some blu-tack and tape on it to stop it going down. Laid on it in a kind of light Kapo for ten minutes before the extra curricular evening drop back's, seemed to help.

alfia said...

Thank you, Grimmly!
I like your dropbacks better, though. You do not seem to bend your knees quite as much, your hangbacks are very deep. I know it is not kosher to compare. Nevertheless, I think it helps to identify things done differently, just to try them out and see if they fit.

Love my ball! It has an oval shape, not as huge as the regular yoga balls. Allows a really deep backbend, if tucked under buttocks. If I have any backbending progress, I credit it entirely to my ball. And since we are in Iyengar-esque mode lately, why not use as many props as we can? Have fun with it. :)

lew said...

*sniff* I have dropback envy! (How's THAT for un-kosher?) Stunning, alfia - so soft and controlled. Grimmly, that's what I meant by the slo-mo on coming up! I only just felt it for the first time yesterday, though, and today was a debacle.

I can't seem to keep my yoga ball inflated. It gets blown up, then the kids mess around with it too much and my husband gets cranky about it and deflates it before something gets broken. Where did you get yours alfia?

susananda said...

Alfia, those are lovely! What's wrong with bending your knees? You go down and up with control.

I used to use a ball but now I just hang off the bed, more effective and doesn't take up any extra space :)

alfia said...

It seems I missed some comments - I am sorry, Lew! Somebody gave me this ball, I did not see other ones like this anywhere.

Thank you, Susan! There might be nothing wrong with bending the knees. But I want my descend to look like yours - legs straight practically until the fingers touch the floor. A girl can dream, right? :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo