Sunday, August 2, 2009

Back from Minnesota

Good intentions of practicing yoga on my own resulted in one day of intermediate (up to lagu vajrasana) and four days of half-ass yin practices in my hotel room. I do not have discipline, as it seems. With some trepidation I stepped in to the shala today, and ended up having an amazing practice. I always knew that breaks were good for me, but a week-long break? Interesting.

Assisted backbends were not quite good, though. I was dropping back heavily, and it took a lot of effort for David to lift me up. He got sick of it pretty fast and made me hang back with my legs straight. Turns out I am terrified of this pose! In my dropbacks I always support my back with hands on the hips or thighs until the very last moment of bringing the hands down to the floor. I did not realise that I cound not do it otherwise. Today, there was a moment of pure panic rising, and I lifted up so fast, nearly knocked David's head with my own. Well, something new to work on. Love challenges!

4 comments:

Boodiba said...

LOL. I could just picture that.

alfia said...

Hi, Linda :)
It was a little better today, but I still had the feeling I would snap in half in these hangbacks. I wonder if this can actually happen? :o

Boodiba said...

No snapping!!

It's just funny to me cause I was still afraid of drop backs up to last summer when I reunited with C. He threw so much at me that there was nothing to be afraid of anymore, except tick tocks which I currently do only once in a blue moon at home alone.

(They still suck, the drop backs, but a bit less than they did three months ago.)

As for you, now that you've reacclimated I'm sure you'll be fine!

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
in my opinion if you did yin practices, you still practiced, so you were never off practice. i think the guru used to say that if you traveled, it was OK to do at least the first five of standing and the last three of closing.

i like the idea of supporting your back with your hands on the hips or thighs in hangbacks. i may try that. i can see the fear of not having the hands for support; i bet you felt out of breath.
hugs
Arturo

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo