Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New York

OK, it is day #3 in New York City. Where did the time go?

We reached New York surprisingly well, considering my non-existent sense of direction (mostly thanks to Tova and GPS). I brought 4 huge boxes of books to my son, so any other modes of transportation, other than a rental car, were out of the question for me. He lives now in a large studio apartment midtown east Manhattan, practically three blocks from his work. Awesome neighborhood - practically everything you need to survive is there within 4 block radius. Though food prices are atrocious.

Anyway, I was a little apprehensive the first day of the classes with Sharath. They were held in a huge gym in Chinatown YMCA. Lots of people, though Tova says that it was not quite as crowded as last time, when Guruji was there. I still thought it was an impressive crowd. The practice itself was not as scary as I imagined. Sharath counts very slowly, but he does it in all poses, hard and easy, so there was lots of time to recover. He does 5 sun salutations A and 3 sun salutations B. He also skips paschimottanasanas B and C, only does A and D. No dropbacks, just holding Urdhva Dhanurasana 3X forever (5 loong counts), then chackrasana, vinyasa and paschimottanasana D for 10 counts. No water for Garbha Pindasana. I had to sneak in a tiny bottle of water, otherwise the pose is inaccessible to me. No help in Supta Kurmasana - no wonder, because for the whole crowd he had only one helper - Eddy Stern. Sirsasana was a killer, though. 20 slow counts, and then the ardha variation for 10 very slow counts, back up again, and only then rest. His favorite form of torture - utpluthee. He counts - one..... and then in half an hour - two..., then smiles and starts counting at a normal pace.
So the primary was not scary. Apparently all the drama was happening in the intermediate section. Lots of people got "tapped at the shoulder", meaning that they were supposed to stop and move to the back. In some cases it was not in any was dictated by the quality of the practice, but by other motives. Today we were allowed to observe the intermediate practice and saw it happening. All the drama aside, it was such an inspiring sight! So many awesome yogis doing awesome practice in one place. Sharath even demonstrated karanda himself - amazing. He snaps into lotus with both legs simultaneously and really fast. And the lift seems to be effortless. Unfortunately no photography was allowed. Pity - my hands were itching to start snapping pictures.
Time for bed. It seems that the days fly so fast that I get a whiplash. In a good way.

11 comments:

Nairam said...

Uhhh!!!! What an amazing experience, thanks so much, I think I can see the room from your post!! Hope you and Tova keep having lots of fun!

Hugs!

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
how nice that you had the opportunity to experience that. I went two years in a row in SF.

the AYSF folks on Facebook sent an email asking people to please sign up for the 2nd Series class with Sharath, to not be afraid. I really really wanted to comment back to the group, but was not allowed. my comment would be that the probable reason that people where not signing up is that they already knew what would happen- just what you experienced. the last time Sharath was in SF, about 100 people signed up for 2nd series and only about 15 people where allowed to continue. most where stopped at Pasasana. so if the word gets around that this is what is going to happen if your pose is not absolutely perfect, why spend the money? those people, of course, where allowed to observe the remainder of the class and go back to the primary group the next day. the feeling of the practitioners, if i'm allowed to mention it, was that only that teacher could have the right to ask you to stop when you just began, after you had paid for an entire series. of course, we're assuming that the people stopped could go to the primary the next day. i hope this comment is not taken the wrong way. the thoughts were expressed to me by someone who has already completed 3rd series, but who was stopped at Pasasana by S. in SF.
cheers,
Arturo

alfia said...

Hi, Nairam:

Thank you, it is lots of fun. I miss home a little, though. :)

Hi, Arturo. It seems the whole experience was more dramatic in SF, than here. They did allow the majority to finish at least the day we were allowed to observe; but it seemed that a person had to have a third in the pocket to be able to finish a led intermediate. Truly intimidating.

Boodiba said...

Hi honey bunny.

I'm gonna be in resting tonight but I am around tomorrow if you have time for lunch. I understand if not!

Globie said...

Hi Alfia,

Sounds awesome. A good experience to watch intermediate too.

Enjoy

Kev

Liz said...

Hey Alfia,
What a fun post to read! I would have sneaked in some water for Garba too-- gotta slick down those gams to jam the arms through!

Arturo- wow, going all out in your comment! I don't think I would sign up for a led 2nd even though I feel pretty good about my intermediate practice. Too stressful. I never feel the need to perform in my daily practice, but I would if I went to a visiting teacher- whoever he/she may be. Not because it was expected, but because that's how my mind works. I do wonder how many people were actually binding and had their heels on the ground in Pasasana... since, you know, that is the pose. (sorry, had to be the devil's advocate)

alfia said...

Hi, Kevin and Liz:

It was great. I am new to the scene, so a gathering of so many amazing yogis was awe inspiring.

I saw today several more people sneaking water in!

alfia said...

Linda! I was waiting for your e-mail and since none came, I assumed you were too busy. I am actually back in DC, teaching my class in 2 hours. I wanted you to meet Karen this time, you probably would have lots to talk about. Oh, well. Next time perhaps? This visit was crazy hectic.

Boodiba said...

Oh yes I've been crazed... First I was sick. Then I had my meltdown. Then I got a new pose. Work has sucked ass tooo.

I would love, love, love to meet Karen. Maybe I'll be able to visit you both in DC at some point this summer?

alfia said...

Hi, Linda:

Karen does not live in DC anymore, but she was planning to come and spend some time practicing this summer. I hope you can join us!

Boodiba said...

Let me know when it is! I could use some inspiration. I'm almost entirely uninterested in my practice lately.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo