Sunday, April 5, 2009

Another week is gone.

The week zipped through, felt like a day. This is the final stretch in my immunology course; only 3 lectures and 1 exam left. My students are nervous and are constantly asking to give them some extra work to improve the grades. For me this extra work is what it is - extra work, and lots of it. Next time around I will do things a little differentlly.

It seems the DMV tickets became a part of my weekly routine. This time I got a speeding ticket. I do feel the need to slow down,which is now monetarily reinforced. Breathe...

Yoga - again, a 3 day Mysore week. I am not going to beat myself up for that. Of course, 3 days are far from ideal, but it is 3 times better than no Mysore at all. Leg is aching, lower back - too. Got myself a portable ultrasound (thank you, Boodiba!); we'll see if it makes any difference. Practically no home practice this week.

On a positive news - my son graduated from his school! Whew. He already got a job, found an apartment and moved to NYC. We might all go to his commencement ceremony in June. I will get to see him and his apartment when I go to Sharath's week in the end of April. So excited!

Nothing changed in my eating patterns, except now I am lacking iron and potassium. 5K steps weekly average. Need to move my ass more! :)

Report generated by CRON-o-Meter v0.9.5

Nutrition Summary
March 16, 2009 to March 22, 2009
Daily Averages over 7 days


Energy2170.5 kcal121%
Protein115.5 g257%
Carbs305.7 g114%
Fiber52.5 g175%
Fat62.0 g84%
Water1747.4 g44%
Vitamins (100%)
Vitamin A24621.5 IU1055%
Folate561.2 µg140%
B1 (Thiamine)5.1 mg460%
B2 (Riboflavin)5.6 mg513%
B3 (Niacin)21.8 mg156%
B5 (Pantothenic Acid)13.4 mg268%
B6 (Pyridoxine)15.2 mg1166%
B12 (Cyanocobalamin)58.7 µg2446%
Vitamin C1787.5 mg2383%
Vitamin D410.9 IU205%
Vitamin E28.9 mg193%
Vitamin K386.0 µg429%
Minerals (97%)
Calcium1144.1 mg114%
Copper1.6 mg178%
Iron16.1 mg89%
Magnesium401.9 mg126%
Manganese3.8 mg209%
Phosphorus775.7 mg111%
Potassium3579.2 mg76%
Selenium77.6 µg141%
Sodium2708.8 mg181%
Zinc9.9 mg124%
Lipids (87%)
Saturated13.8 g69%
Omega-34.1 g372%
Omega-614.7 g122%
Cholesterol237.0 mg79%


Happy Sunday!

14 comments:

karen said...

I've been using the CRON-o-meter to check out my nutrition this week, and I came out low on potassium, too. I read a bit about supplementation, because I figured some additional potassium might be in order, but everything I read said that most people don't need supplementation because potassium is so abundant in food. Still, I keep coming up short. I'm perplexed.

alfia said...

Hi, Karen:

THis is something that also leaves me puzzled. I sweat a lot when I practice, which means I lose potassium and need more than the recommended value. I know that there is a lot of it in bananas (which I do not eat because of high GI) and apricots. Probable adding dried apricots will do the trick?

karen said...

Apparently potatoes have a lot of potassium, as well. Which is curious, because when I am not eating properly, I get unbelievable cravings for potato chips.

So I'm going to try potatoes this week (baked instead of chips, though!).

alfia said...

Aah, potatoes... I miss them. I excluded them from my diet because of their very high GI). They used to be the major staple in our cuisine. Good times. :)

Louanna Wilson said...

Greetings. I just thought you'd like to know that the daily recommended dose of Vitamin D3 is now between 2000 and 5000 IU, unless you are getting regular sun exposure w/o sunscreen. Best of health to you!

alfia said...

Hi, Louanna:

Thank you for the info. I might have to supplement Vit.D, it seems.

rayna said...

maybe you can try sweet potatoes? they are supposed to be much better for you. and since you are too humble to do it, can i brag for you? your son graduated with a 4.0 GPA from cal tech! that is amazing! you must be one proud mama!

alfia said...

Hi, Rayna:

I should try sweet potatoes. I just need to dig out recepies for them. I have never cooked them except ones, when Tova gave me one recipe.

I am a very proud mama. Though as I said, my feeling is that he grew up well in spite of us, not because we did something right. :)

Liz said...

Aw!! So nice of your friend to brag about your son for you! 4.0! That's fantastic! How fun that you can do a trip to NYC for him and Sharath! Can't wait to read about that...

I haven't dipped into the CRON party yet (it would be frightful and embarrassing), but it's really fun to read about you all doing it! I like to observe others living healthfully. Eventually it will rub off and I won't eat a bag of barbecue potato chips for breakfast (getting my potassium, Karen!)

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
congratulations to your dedicated, intelligent son!!!

i think the idea of sweet potato is a good one for potassium. sweet potato is a staple of many long lived humans, including the Okinawans. i try to include it daily in my diet.

cheers,
Arturo

alfia said...

Hi, Liz:

Thank you! :)

Join us! We can deal with frightful and embarrassing, right?
Do you really eat potato chips for breakfast?! :o
:D

alfia said...

Thank you, Arturo. :)

I am sold on sweet potatoes. Now need to find time to buy them. And a recipe. We'll see how they will reflect on my potassium levels. Mwa-ha-ha!(that was supposed to be my evil laughter)

rayna said...

oooh...i love okinawan sweet potatoes - they are purple on the inside and super sweet! i should ask my grandmother what she eats - she is okinawan and a healthy 97 years young!

susananda said...

Yay, get on the sweet potato train! Yum.

And congratulations on your clever son!!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo