Friday, March 6, 2009

Clutz

Everything was going so well. Mysore with David was amazing, I started to look at the old and tired poses in a completely new way. He took in some of the poses much deeper than I was used to, in others - backed me off, allowing to concentrate more on the alignment (Marichi C and D comes to mind). And yet, the new shape of the poses did allow me to deepen them in the end, like in Marichi D I can now consistently bind my wrist. I was doing only assisted drop-backs and stand-ups, so my back is feeling much better and soon I will give another try to un-assisted variations.
So everything was going amazingly well, until I hurt myself. How can a person doing yoga for many years be so clumsy? My left leg slid to the rigt side on a piece of ice that was on ice. I righted myself, but not before I put pressure on the knee with the shin in an unnaral position and my leg made an unpleasant crunching sound. Result - no lotus, half lotus, jumpbacks, jumpthroughs, supta kurmasana, and so on. Limp while walking. I am crippled.... :(

16 comments:

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Oh no, poor thing! I'm so sorry your leg went all wonky. Take it super easy for a bit, ok?

Anonymous said...

Exactly - take it easy.

And you are not a klutz - it is ICE! Not your fault!

Be nice to your knee... this will past quickly.

Anonymous said...

Oh!!! Take it easy and rest - let your body heal. The ice around here is awful. Let me know if you need anything. Hugs.

knittish said...

Holy Crow! Oh, Alfia! I am so sorry to hear of your injury!

Ice is treacherous!!!

Give yourself time to heal. I'll send good healing thoughts your way.

It was such a joy to see you this entire week (except for this morning when it was so difficult to rouse my tired and sore body from bed to get to practice...but I did).

Warm hugs to you, my friend!

--Rossana

crankyhausfrau said...

ice IS dangerous! Rowan has a broken arm to prove it! put some arnica on and you will heal soon :)

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh Alfia, I am so sorry to hear you had an accident on the ice, yogi or not ice is lethal.

Take it easy on the knee, it has taken me 2 years of people saying I should be kinder to them, before I found out they are right.

alfia said...

Hi, everyone:

Thank you so much for your support! I feel blessed to have you in my life.

It is funny though, what a big deal an injury is for a yogi. If I did not have yoga in my life, I would not think twice about it, just let it heal peacefully. But no, I have to check every hour or two whether I re-acquired the ability to bend the leg. I know it is stupid, but can't help myself.

Liz said...

Right! Ice is ice... yogi or not, you can't win with ice! So sorry to hear about your poor knee. I hate that split second when you know something just did you in. My boyfriend hurt his knee severely a couple months ago. The doc said possible surgery... but he laid off practice for a whole month, iced the knee all the time, and now he's back and feeling great! there's hope!

susananda said...

Sorry, ALfia :(
You're right though, try not to be a yogi obsessive checking it every couple of hours.. let it rest. Hope it's all back to normal in a few days.

Nairam said...

;(

Oh, no!!!!!! I hope you feel better soon!

(I'm usually paralyzed with terror about walking on ice... so I can only imagine).

Hugs,

N

Rebirth2017 said...

Hi Alfia!
I hope you are feeling better!

Hugs,
ABY

crankyhausfrau said...

miss you!!!!

alfia said...

Miss you, too, Tova! No time to breathe. I am on a ladies holiday right now, and kind of glad that tomorrow is a moon day. Can't wait until the end of April - the classes will be over!
See you on Thursday?

crankyhausfrau said...

yes ma'am :)

Arturo said...

oh, Alfia, i'm sorry, but it sounds like it would happen to anyone, so you're probably not a klutz. slipping on ice is a dangerous threat to many people.
hope you feel better soon.
hugs
Arturo
WF: pausi

alfia said...

I am still a klutz, Arturo. No one gets injured quite as often as I do. I do not remember the last time I was well with nothing hurting. Or maybe its an old age? I prefer klutz, honestly! :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo