Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wednesday already?

Days are going by just way too fast. I do not seem to manage much during the day, and then there is a very short evening, and after that it is 4:15 am of the next day. And everything repeats. I need a time management workshop or something of the kind. It feels like additional 3-4 hours a day would make a huge difference, but probably this is just another illusion.
At least I have yoga. Even though I understand that not only it takes 1.5 hours of my time every day, it also eats part of my evening, and the time when I prepare and teach classes. But every time I skip yoga, the day seems even shorter, less organized and productive. So probably yoga in fact adds to my time, I just need to be smarter about spending it right.
Today David said "Not bad" to my pasasana. Which translated to normal human language would sound like "Very good" or even "Excellent". He does not spoil us with praise. I could not wipe a silly grin from my face until the rest of the practice. :)
Oh, I am going to meditate today - thank you, Yogamum for the initiative! I have been ignoring meditation for way too long. BTW, does Yoga Nidra count as meditation or not?

11 comments:

Yogamum said...

Yay! Can't wait to hear how your meditation goes!

Anonymous said...

in yoga philosophy, only meditation counts as meditation - the previous limbs being preparation.

alfia said...

Hi, Yogamum!
I will certainly let you know how it goes. :)

Hi, Anon:
Are you saying Yoga nidra is not a meditation? It feels a lot like one. I would say "guided meditation", no?

Anonymous said...

That's the thing about yoga, it's NOT just the time that you are officially on the mat.... it's going to bed earlier, getting there, getting to work, etc. However, I would like another 3 hours per day too. If you find the Hour Genie, can you send her my way?

We just did pasasana in a vinyasa class that I took - which NEVER happens, it was sort of cool actually.

Um, yes, I think D's compliments counts as an EXCELLENT! : )

Hi Yogamum!

alfia said...

Hi, Anna:
Where are you? I miss you!

I actually taught pasasana in one of my classes (at the time I could actually do it easily). Nobody could do it, so I gave up on the pose. :)

Anonymous said...

Eh, I mean it all gets to be splitting hairs sometimes I think. All I know is that in most traditional yoga philosophy meditation is a latter limb not *necessarily* associated with any asana. I think most translations would place meditation as the seventh limb, Dhyana ध्यान.

aliya said...

I suppose eventually anything could be a meditation eh? I'm voting for coffee drinking! :-D

Congrats on the success with pasasana!

Boodiba said...

I've been meditating more & more. It seems to help a lot. I used to feel that it only counted if you did it every day & I could never keep that up & so I didn't do it at all. But I've found that if I just need to chill or if I'm having a really bad day, even the random session helps, even if it's only 20m.

Anonymous said...

I've found that even five minutes can be helpful...and that it really helps my asana practice if I can get it in before walking to the shala. Hm.

Maybe there's something to this...

Boodiba said...

Greg used to say that even 12 breaths of complete concentration is all you really need.

alfia said...

Morning before practice is so hectic for me. You might be right that taking 5 minutes or even 12 breaths might make my practice a little more mindful. I will try it! Thank you, ladies. :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo