Thursday, October 2, 2008

Meditation is hard

Meditation yesterday was a partial success. I pulled out Xenia Splawinski Yoga Nidra and actually dedicated a whole hour to it. Meaning that I went to bed at 8 pm, instead of 9. How ridiculus is that? Anyway, I got comfortable, and started to go through the rotation of the conciousness. At this moment my body started to itch. I actually thought we had bed bugs! But no, it just my monkey mind was playing tricks with me. I diverted the attention from the relaxation of the body, and the itch stopped. So weird. Anyway, the rotation of the consciousness went fine, but then my mind strayed and I started thinking about a work problem. Did not even notice that, only after a very good idea came to my mind I realized what was happening. Since very good ideas do not visit me quite often, I sacrificed the meditation and got up to write it down (I have a sad experience of completely forgetting things that were worth remembering). Got back to bed, and restarted the recording. Do not remember what happened next, because I was fast asleep. Big problem! But I would say I got about 15-20 minutes out of 45 without sleeping and thinking about something else. Not too shabby for me! My sankalpa (intention for change) was to become more disciplined. I did not get to repeat it in the end of the practice, but there is still hope.
Anyway, since the plan is to meditate every day in October, I will implement the following changes:
1) do it not in bed, but on the floor
2) do it from 7-8, hoping it will help not to fall asleep
3) banish the cat from the room (somebody crawling on your body during meditation is not conducive for concentration)

I had a follow-up appointment with my dermatologist this morning at 7:15. Had to skip practice and acquired a brand-new set of burns on the neck. Not as bad as the first time, thank God. I might practice after work, but we'll see, with meditation and all if I have time.

7 comments:

Boodiba said...

Every day??? You are ambitious.

I have to meditate seated. Have to. I have a zafu and a zabuton. I bought them about seven years ago in the hopes that accessories would encourage me.

Now YOU are encouraging me. Maybe I'll try tonight. And tomorrow. I just canceled plans with a big group. I can't afford a big group dinner (not that I'm into it). I'm not working much this month, going to see the parents - that'll be $450 - and India is coming up.

alfia said...

Well, this was Yogamum's WoYoPracMo challenge for October - meditate every day. I am big on challenges.

When are you going to see your parents, Linda?

Anonymous said...

Alfia, maybe you need a new dermatologist, one who doesn't leave MARKS?

alfia said...

Maybe I do need another dermatologist. I actually had a great one, but she retired with ovarian cancer. This one is a little trigger-happy, but she is thorough and takes patients from 7 am. I can take a little pain, no problem.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I am going to a new dermatologist later this afternoon. Will report back!

Doctors that do early appointments are wonderful, that's for sure.

Yogamum said...

I had to laugh about the bed bugs! I have had the crawly sensation myself!

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
it does help to have a comfortable zafu and zabuton on the floor to sit on for meditation. for me, the best is if under all that is a Japanese tatami mat. then it really feels like a meditation space. having it available helps meditation a lot. meditating on a bed is not a good idea, unless you're set up on the cushions over the bed because you're out of space (been there).
hugs
Arturo

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo