Thursday, September 25, 2008

Little Fountain and chewing gum on a sidewalk

A day of rest did a world of good to my practice. It was not my regular "ready to die any moment now Thursday practice", but a very nice a strong one. Touched fingers on my left side and bound on the right side in Pasasana. Standing up from UD - I feel light as a feather. Deep assisted backbend. Very satisfactory! :)
Yesterday my friend Jane and I went to a "Little Fountain" restaurant in Adams Morgan. It was very cozy. A single table outside, way below the sidewalk, but in a beautiful tiny garden, drowning in flowers. So lovely! And the food was too good for my own good, I ate too much. I generally do not like going out too much, because I get easily bored by waiting for the food, then eating for hours, then waiting for the check and so on. Seems like such a waste of time. But Jane is such a interesting person, with 75 years worth of fascinating stories, I never get bored with her. Her stories yesterday were sad though. She talked about her best friend Helen, who died from cancer at 41. She got the same cancer as her older sister, who is still alive today (way over 80). Helen, however, did not want to follow her sister's successful, but brutal traditional treatment and went through the alternative ways - cleansing through coffee enemas, healers, herbs and so on. When she realized they were not working, it was too late.
One of Jane's nephews who lives in Singapore told her once "DC is disgusting! Look at all those chewing gum traces" and he pointed out to the dark blotches on the sidewalks. I have never paid attention to them, but now I am very curious - are they really traces of chewing gum? It is hard to believe that there are so many of them. Not sure how to investigate it though. Any ideas (not involving picking up and tasting)? They are flat, dark and non-sticky.
Have a great day, everyone!
PS. Googled it and found this about chewing gum: Chewing Gum Graveyard. Looks very convincing...

6 comments:

Boodiba said...

I just recently heard the chewing gum, blotch theory, but I can't believe it. Cause it seems like more than half of all the sidewalks in NYC are covered...

Urban myth?

alfia said...

Hi,Linda:
I found the source of the story here and I think this might be true. Isn't it horrible?

crankyhausfrau said...

i don't mean to be completely disgusting, but the gum thing does not bother me nearly as much as the things that i can't see but surely can smell, like urine and vomit. or the things that you can't smell either! like the germs that linger in public restrooms! aaaagh!
as for pasasana, i am glad you are enjoying it. it would certainly be in my list of my very most favorite poses.

susananda said...

I hate gum, disgusting habit. Awesome about your practice!

Arturo said...

hi Alfia
ahem, interesting question. your friend is correct in her observation. this is why chewing gum is banned from Singapore and you are severely fined if caught chewing gum there. you are not allowed to bring it to the country. and their city is spotless. cities spend a lot of money pressure cleaning sidewalks to get rid of those blemishes. besides chewing gum, they can be melted hard candies and bars, but primarily they are chewing gum. as architect, unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, i'm trained to see all this stuff, and yes, it is disapointing to see it when it's not cleaned off. graffiti is a big problem also.
hugs
Arturo

alfia said...

Thank you, Arturo:

This is very interesting. My power of observation is not very strong, but now I see those spots everywhere! I wish nobody pointed them out to me.

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo