Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Gadgets should be excluded from Aparigraha considerations

Slept in yesterday. Was so sore, I just hated the idea of getting out of the bed. Which was OK, because today’s practice rocked. Damien is so damn good. In the last assisted dropback I landed very close to my heels, and it did not hurt my lower back. Yum!

Some brave souls are looking very closely at their Yamas and Nyamas observances. While I still prefer to live an unexamined life, one thing is clear: I totally suck at Aparigraha. Apple unveiled it’s new Ipods yesterday, and the minute they updated their on-line store, I got myself a new ipod touch. Feeling really guilty now. Well, not really. :) Can’t wait for it to come! I am also eying a sewing machine at Costco, but I might be able to keep myself from buying it for a while. It is bulky, and I decided that first I need to get rid of something that is twice the volume of the machine. This way I will actually decrease the number and bulk of my possessions, not increase them. Sly, huh?

Have a great day, everyone!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I totally understand. I'm lusting after an iPhone myself.

alfia said...

We should lobby for an amendment to Yoga Sutras! :D

rayna said...

i second the iPhone lusting... i mean, can't we make the argument that buying one would negate the need for 1) an iPod, 2) a handheld game device, 3) a phone, 4) a calendar, and perhaps on occasion, 5) a computer? if you do the math, seems getting something like the iPhone is actually following aparigraha. ha ha ha.

alfia said...

I like the way you think, Rayna!
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally getting an iPhone, just waiting for my stupid Verizon contract to expire. I REFUSE to pay to cancel it!

You touched the universe! That is special. Who is Damien?

alfia said...

Hi, Anna! I am with you - have another year with Sprint. Still had to get Touch, since my Pocket PC does not want to work with Mac.
Damien is David's nephew from Santa Barbara where he teaches Ashtanga. He is one of those teachers who is not afraid to do a full body contact while adjusting. He is nice, too!
:)

Boodiba said...

I never thought the one rule I'd end up excelling in would be brahmacharya. Go figure.

alfia said...

You are pretty good in aparigraha, too! I, on the other hand, can't find a single yama/nyama I excel. Very pathetic.

Boodiba said...

Oooh that's true on the apari non grasping whatever thing.

I am SURE you have yamic & niyamic virtues though. And gadgets don't count. I mean maybe having an iPhone and iTouch AND Blackberry would be going too far...

Guess what I'm going to do now - meditate! I know it doesn't really "count" if you do it once in a blue moon, but was talking w/ my friend Julie today & I think it's a good idea. I'll meditate instead of drink wine for a night.

alfia said...

See, you also meditate! I will do that too. Meditation always makes me feel better.
Happy meditation, Linda! :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo