Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Economic downturn does not bother me as long as my practice is good.

Such a satisfying practice today! I felt so strong by the end of it, I could go for another one. Aliya gave me his permission :) Had to go to work instead. Bummer.
I bound pasasana on both sides. Keith gave me an awesome adjustment, rotating my torso towards the ceiling. Then in an assisted backbend I grabbed my heels and held the pose for nice five breaths. Aaahhh! Life is good.
My acupuncturist gave me some herbal concoction to drink twice a day as a tea. She was apologetic about the taste, claiming it was too strong. I was very surprised to find the taste not only not strong, but quite pleasant. I then remembered that it took me sometime to get used to my lapacho tea which I love now. Nothing is too strong in comparison!

11 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

oh my goodness! you didn't tell me that about the bind! holy smokes! nice work!

alfia said...

Thank you, Tova! Me happy... Me jumping on the chair a little... :D

Boodiba said...

What's the tea for?

Happy you had such a nice practice. Mine felt pretty ok. I mean I woke up so early cause I'd spent 11 hours in bed the night before. I wish I could be satisfied with my back bending. But for that it's gotta be better!! :)

alfia said...

Hi, Linda:

Lapacho tea is recommended during the flu season, etc. Some people claim that it reduces inflammation and arthritis. These two statements contradict each other, but I like this tea because it gives me a little "zing". Since I gave up my caffeine, I have to look for the "zing" elsewhere.

Can you post a picture of one of your backbends? I am sure they are fabulous!

Boodiba said...

Hey Alfie!
I have been told that my lines look really good in viparita shalabhasana. There are a lot of beginners, especially Sundays, who are completely impressed with me. But that's because of all the fancy inversions & vinyasa & they don't know what a finished Ganda B is supposed to look like anyway.

Still, even cFURRR was happy with my Ganda at the wall today even if I wasn't.

alfia said...

I have the feeling you are way too hard on yourself. Think about it this way - if you had a perfect backbend, there would be no reason for you to go to India, and this would be a real bummer. One other thought - maybe imperfect back bend still keeps you among us, lowly humans?

Boodiba said...

Even cFURRR thinks I can be too obsessive, as he's said outright. I guess it's true they give me something to work on.

That & eating. Eating is my job this week...

Anonymous said...

Wohoow!! That sounds about great ;) I'm really glad for you!

susananda said...

Good stuff, nothing like a really good practice!

Why do the two statements contradict each other? Am I being really dense?

alfia said...

Hi, Susan:

You are so not dense! It is just confusing stuff. When something is recommended to "strengthen the immune system" during the flu season etc., it means that it has pro-inflammatory qualities. Then how would it reduce inflammation and arthritis then? See what I mean?

susananda said...

Oh, I didn't realise that resistance to flu would be pro-inflammatory. Interesting!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo