Thursday, September 11, 2008

Can the IT band be overstretched?

For some reason this week I am having "every other day" practice at the shala. Skipped it today, too, but had a slow eclectic practice at home, concentrating on the areas that needed special attention (hip flexors, hip flexors and hip flexors). I hate to admit it, but I think I developed a new injury - the IT band area. For sometime I was terrified that this was sciatica, because I could not sleep on the side (any side, left or right) - the whole outside area of my left thigh was hurting. Not a terrible pain, but a gnawing, annoying ache, which made the sleep problematic. I backed off the backbends, but it did not help at all. It seems that the worst offender is the reversed triangle with the left leg forward. Used to be one of my best poses. Now it is painful, and I have to bend the front knee to make it work at all. Any stretching makes it worse. It does not seem to affect any other poses so far, so I will just take it easy in the reversed triangle. But boy, this is frustrating. The feeling of injury-free well being does not seem to last longer than two weeks at most. Maybe I am too old for ashtanga, after all? Or maybe I need a major attidude makeover - just stop pushing at all and back off? Need to think. Mew.

8 comments:

Boodiba said...

I wish I could help you! I've never had any IT issues though so I don't know...

Acupuncture???

Hey I bought the Green Vibrance. Took it home just before going to see my parents Labor Day. And it's just been SITTING there on my shelf :) Bad me.

alfia said...

Hi Linda:

How about MSM? I became a firm believer in the effectiveness of this stuff.

I disgust myself with all those injuries. Calling my acupuncturist...

Anonymous said...

eek, I'm hesitant to offer anatomical advice but I'd say (1) talk to David/Keith about how to keep practicing during an injury and what you can modify so that things don't tighten up and (2) take it easy and be good to yourself!

alfia said...

Hi, Anna:

If I fess up to David or Keith, I will not get a new pose untill I am 50. But taking it easy will work, I think. Thank you, Anna!

I called an accupuncturist and will make an appointment with Tova. Tova will make me happy! :)

Anonymous said...

Tova makes everybody happy!

I want an official appointment with Tova!

BTW I do love that you mew-ed. I have the blogosphere mewing!

You're right, you won't get a new pose till you are 50, perhaps even 51. They are very careful. Although I guess it makes sense.

alfia said...

I decided to unveil my cat identity. I even added a picture to the blogger profile! Mewing is the first step. Can't roar yer. Comes out too pathetic. :D But I am learning from you, the most magnificent lioness ever!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can! Meoweth! Roar!

and thank you, that is very sweet. (smiling)

Your cat is beautiful! She looks like Maggie and also Linda's cat Mooshi!

Elaina said...

Oh Alfia! I wish you a speedy recovery! Take it easy on yourself, lady :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo