Sunday, July 6, 2008

I am positively becoming a social butterfly

My social life perked up recently all of a sudden. On Wednesday I met Elaina, who were here for a work conference. It is so interesting to talk to a person who shares the same interests in life - neuroscience and yoga. Elaina came to visit me at NIH, we talked science a little, and then we went to the Great Falls park. It was interesting, we just met, but I had a feeling that we knew each other for a long time. She is wonderful! Very warm, intelligent and absolutely beautiful! Then Thursday was a blur of activities , including sending my husband to New York to spend time with our son and long time friends.

Friday - we met with Karen for another photo session and also went to the Great Falls Park (love that place!). When we were driving back, I noticed a note on my windshield. Good thing I decided to stop and read - turned out I lost my licence, insurance card and car registration; somebody found them and turned them to the visitor center, and the park person actually tracked my car on the parking garage and left a note. People are nice!

In the evening, I was supposed to meet with friends for a 4th of July celebration, and this turned out to be an unexpected hassle. The police blocked out the most useful roads and bridges and it became really hard to move around, especially for a directionally challenged person like me. We managed to have a great time nevertheless.

Yesterday, I stopped by to check on Tova. She moved and now they live in a lovely two-bedroom apartment. I am so excited to have her here!

Ugh, anyway, that is why I did not have any time to be here. I am not accustomed to too many days in a row of actually having social life. I am not complaining, it is just something unusual for me. Oh, and today after I teach a class, I am going to Karen's going-away party. It sucks that Karen is leaving. Anyway, can't deal with this now. Sorry for the incoherent ramblings! Here is a real (not social) butterfly from the park:

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

:)

8 comments:

susananda said...

Alfia, I'm glad you that are having fun, got to meet Elaina, and that nice people intervened to return your belongings.

The butterfly picture is pretty. I think you are truly a talented photographer. All the ones on your flickr page are great too - at first I was only looking at Karen, but the others are just lovely.

Where is Karen going to? No more pictures?

alfia said...

Thank you, Susan! You are very kind.

Karen is moving to New Orleans. I hope to come an visit her there. She also promised to come to DC once in a while.

I need more people volunteering to have their pictures taken...

Elaina said...

Alfia, you are too kind! It was very special to meet you and I really look forward to our next meeting :)

I plan to blog soon too about DC, so stay tuned :)

Also, I've been doing those stretches you showed me, I think they are helping. Supta Kurmasana, here I come! Thanks for the tips.

Have a wonderful week.

-E

Anonymous said...

You and Tova are lucky to have each other!

Have a great day! : )

Anonymous said...

Dear Alfia,

Well, all I can say it that this is what life is all about--beautiful times spent with loved ones, old and new. I'm so glad you are having this great opportunity to enjoy yourself and your many friends; even more so given recent struggles with your back. It does sound like Karen's moving will give you an opportunity to travel and bring us some more amazing photos and videos!

alfia said...

Hi, Elaina:
I can't wait for your report on Supta Kurnasana progress! :)

Anna, thank you! I am truly lucky to have Tova around.

Thank you, Nairam! I do feel very blessed with people in my life.

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
It's nice to be a social butterfly once in a while, or all the time, whichever suits one's style.

I agree with the others that you have a natural talent for photography.
Cheers,
Arturo

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Hi Alfia, Nice to see a post! I've been social butterflying all over the place, too. Plus, internet at our house keeps pooping out in the evenings, so I've hardly been online at all. Feels weirdly cut off to only converse with the people sharing your space, I find: ;)

Yay for nice people, btw!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo