Monday, July 21, 2008

Brand new week.

My practice always feels wonderful after a break. Today was no exception - it was soooo good to be back. My body felt both strong and flexible.There was a little twinge in the shoulder in Supta Kurmasana, but it is OK now. Urdhva Dhanurasana is my favorite pose from now on. Standing up was so easy, I have no idea why it was such a struggle to begin with. I was not even tired afterwards. Awesome.
There are two possible reasons for the strong practice. The first, most likely one, is the "honeymoon" feeling after a long break. The second one was that I actually had a breakfast before practice (for the first time ever). At 4:20 I had a glass of fat-free milk with Spiru-Tein shake (179 Cal, 14 g protein, 8 g of sugar). Practice started at 6 am, which gave me 1h40 min to digest. I felt it was not quite enough time, because I was burping a little and had a short-lived heartburn during the practice. On the other hand, this discomfort was very little, and if this is the price to pay for high stamina, I am willing to pay it! I need to investigate it further. It is quite possible that I am habitually crashing by the end of my practice and that is why I do not have energy for multiple UDs.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!

15 comments:

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Mmm, I'm going to have to try that. I need some more juice in the morning. Not looking forward to getting up extra early to drink it, though...

alfia said...

Hi, Joy!!!!
I am so happy to be back.
I know what you mean - two hours before practice is just inhumane. Oh sacrifices we are willing to make for ashtanga! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, that is NOT a sacrifice I could make!

: )

Welcome back! I will touch base before Sunday for sure.
xx

Boodiba said...

I'm in the cult up to my eyeballs, I am realizing anew.

I never have anything in the morning before practice, but I do finish my coffee in the bathtub. That is my main prep - the 15m soak.

alfia said...

This is not a bad cult, right?
We are not holding snakes and scream incoherently. We just quetly discuss our digestion, elimination, staying up late, etc in relation to muscle-joint-ligament problems. Quite innocent, I think! :)
Coffee does not give energy, it just makes neurons fire like crazy. I do wish I had time for a good soak though. :P

Boodiba said...

I get up at 5am sharp in order to soak. It's a habit I started in the winter & I'm hooked.

I needs mah coffee or ahs might die.

Pretty tired though. No alcohol during the week before my 3rd series on Mars.

The cult: I might threaten to leave from time to time, but we all know it's just a lovers quarrel. I'm not going anywhere.

alfia said...

Thank God for that! Do not leave us ever. Since I gave up on my caffeine, I need my morning fix of Ashtanga blogs, or I will wilt away, too!
:)

Boodiba said...

I can't give up blogging. I'm WAY too needy for that.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got a blast of inspiration! ;)

Unknown said...

ooohh... alfia, it's been too long since i visited your blog!! what an idea - a protein shake before practice. i've developed a slight aversion to my pre-practice coffee (!!!) and you've given me an alternative to consider. yay for your UDs and isn't it nice to be back in AYC? i totally miss it and can't wait to come back. AYC really is my ashtanga home. kisses!

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
That reflects my habits. I wake up super early, feed, wait 2 hours while doing something constructive, then practice. I live by myself; in your case you have to be sensitive to your hubs, but it sounds like you can do it.

Alfia, do you have a maskot? Or would Washington DC Cherry blossoms represent you? :)

hugs
Arturo

Arturo said...

...and thanks to Joy Suzanne for reminding me that I needed to do this eating prior to practice, in my case. I was reporting a few weeks back how I was experimenting with practicing without eating anything and was wondering why I was suddenly collapsing into child's pose and falling asleep. This is why the community of blogging is so helpful. Thanks, JS.

Anonymous said...

This morning I woke up at 3am and had breakfast (berry smoothie, lemon tea & homemade honey/oat wheat toast) and dozed to some Shostakovitch until 5.

I had my most satisfying morning practice in a while! There might be something to eating before practice.

Thank you Alfia and all for this revelation! :)

alfia said...

Hi, Portside:

I am glad it worked out for you. I am never going to practice without a breakfast from now on, because I feel a huge difference in the practice. Thank you, Arturo, for the idea!

alfia said...

Hi, Arturo:

I haven't thought about a mascot. I can't think of anything that would represent me. You met me, do you have any ideas? I love cats, but I love dogs just as much. Have to think about it. But definitely not flowers - I am so not a flower girl! :D

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo