Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Separation anxiety

Things are not going my way these days for some reason. As a result, my practice suffers. Isn't it funny how we measure the quality of our lives by the quality of the morning practice?
So first, I hit my left knee yesterday against a very sharp edge of the metal desk. Swivel chairs are not safe, I am telling you! No lotus today, and the practice felt truncated and unfinished.
Second, my cat is sick. She does it every time when we leave somewhere, and our neighbour (a very sweet lady) comes to take care of our cats. First time she did it when we went to a family vacation in Florida. She just stopped eating. When we returned, I discovered that my black and white cat had a yellow tint to her skin. Diagnosis - hepatic lipodosis. She had to have a surgery, a tube was inserted into her stomach and I had to feed her through the tube 5 times a day for a month. Good thing I was in a graduate school then and my school was only 15 minutes of walk from the house. The surgery and all the required analyses cost us $3k. Next time we left her with the neighbour, she stopped pooping. She had to have several enemas ($250 each) before the final diagnosis - mega colon. Surgery removed a part of her colon and made us another $4K poorer. For three years afterwards she was a happily eating and pooping kitti, until we decided to visit San Francisco last week. Just four days, but that was enough for her to stop pooping again. Grrrr! For two days now I am torturing her with enemas and walking around the apartment with a paper towel and sanitizing spray, because the poop is everywhere. But it is not a very productive poop, unfortunately. I shudder to think how much will this trip cost me in the end. And my heart aches for my kitty! And my practice suffers because the lack of sleep. Ok, I am stopping my whining now.
I hope your day is shaping up much better than mine!

13 comments:

Rebirth2017 said...

Hi Alfia!
Sorry about your knee and geez, the things we do for the love of our animal friends! Sorry about kitty :(

I hear you on quality of our morning practice = quality of our daily life. I thought mine was going to be stupendous today until I realized my lower back needs a chiropractic adjustment and I couldn't do forward bends past a certain point! ARGHH!
Here's to a better day tomorrow!
ABY

alfia said...

Hi, Aby! I hope you feel better soon. Back pain trumps hurt knee every time.
To a better day, Aby! :)

Boodiba said...

Ooh no wonder you responded to my kitty comment. Damn. Good vibes to you & knee & kitty!

alfia said...

Thanks, Linda! I feel the vibes! :)

Boodiba said...

I hope my cat stays healthy!! I don't have any health insurance myself so could not afford any in that direction. Is risky. I keep threatening to grow up but haven't yet.

alfia said...

I hope your cat stays healthy, too! I do not think I spent that much money on the medical stuff for three of us (people, I mean) Vet services are unbelievably expensive!

Boodiba said...

I had Mooshi neutered @ the Humane Center and was only $15, years ago, but I have heard they no longer do spaying or neutering. I probably couldn't afford to get a cat now!

The two times he's needed care in his life I've taken him there.

rayna said...

oh alfia! i will think my happiest thoughts for you knee and for your kitty. see if you can chat with the lady who comes in early - she is a vet at friendship.

Elaina said...

I'm so sorry Alfia! I hope everything works out well, and soon. Sending healing thoughts your way, for you and the kitty!!!

alfia said...

Thank you, guys! You are da best!

Rayna, can you introduce me to the shala vet if we have a chance?

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sad to have a sick pet. I hope yours gets better soon.

Happy Wednesday!

crankyhausfrau said...

oh, poor kitty and poor Alfia! go to the health store and get some arnica for your knee. it is a miracle rememdy. i hope your kitty is better soon!

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
I'm sorry about the kitty. My friend Katja is also very close to her kitties. She originally brought the mother and daughter kittens from Slovania to Miami. On one of her trips, the daughter kitty dissapeared, impatient that Katja wasn't around. Later on, Katja moved to SF and brought the mother kitty and another, a street cat. The mother kitty died of cancer recently and Katja felt as if a family member had died.

Hey, and sorry you hit a steel piece of furniture with your knee. I understand how we judge our days by how our practice is going.

cheers,
Arturo

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo