Sunday, April 6, 2008

Crowd or solitude

I realized today that I do not enjoy a packed shala. Not because it is inconvenient. I feel that it the crowd drains my energy. I was always afraid of crowds, but now it seems that I made another step in the direction of deepening my psychological deficiencies. Oh, joy!


Speaking of the crowds. Is it really too weird to be afraid of them? I am talking about real, big crowds of people. There was in incident in Minsk in 1999, when people started to run from a strong rain into a subway station. There were so many people coming down that they trampled people coming up from the train that just arrived. 52 people died, more than 300 were injured. The majority of the people who died were girs from 13 to 17 years old. The whole week after this tragedy Minsk was burying its children. The girls were buried in the wedding dresses, which was a Belorussian tradition for unwed women.


I do not know why I remembered this. I was just trying to justify my deep dislike of the crowds. But the people in the shala have nothing in common with the wild crowds I am afraid of. And yet I feel very tired every time I practice in over packed shala. Is it psychosomatic? The most people I know love to practice with as many people as possible. They enjoy this feeling of common pulled energy of people doing yoga together. I think our teachers love it, too. They seem to be more energized, more active, in a better than usual mood. What is wrong with me, I wonder?
_______________________________________________
Linda: check out my little Ganesh statue. This was a present from a dear friend! :)

11 comments:

Ursula said...

I do notlike masses, too. I feel crushed easily as I am rather little. That's why I don't like to go to concerts. All these ruthless people drive me crazy.

Yogis also often don't pay attention of the neighbour. They lift up their arms as if they were alone.
But I must admit, once I was in a cramped yoga class with more than 100 yogis. One mat was next to the other and the energy that I could feel was perfect. But this is rare.

I would say, everything is OK with you. Ursula

Boodiba said...

I thought that kind of thing only happened at Who concerts...

I like the energy of a crowded shala, but not SO crowded that I don't have a decent moat of space around my mat.

Maybe you're just feeling inward right now? Nothing wrong with it.

alfia said...

Ursula, LInda, thank you! I needed some confirmation that I am not a complete freak.

But it is weird to me. I do not feel irritated by the crowd, just very tired afterwards. Not normal afterpractice pleasant tired, but physically drained.

I will probably stop going to shala on Sundays. I can practice by myself, and there will be more room in the studio for people who enjoy crowds.

Boodiba said...

You might be working harder with the increased energy from all those extra bodies? It's nice to self practice sometimes though. Cause you can get away with doing whatever you want.

Christopher completely busted me today for skipping assisted backbends again. I don't feel like I NEED it if I'm doing Kapo solo and dropbacks and handstanding to back bend. I'd like a Vrischikasana assist if anything, feet to head help. He didn't yell though. If I were still "his" completely he'd have yelled. I'll have to do it next week...

I have to admit my practice is almost always pretty taxing, except for Fridays. Sunday's the only day I did full Intermediate & no 3rd. After I eat post practice, I always want to walk around a bit if the weather's not too bad, and then I need to (PJ yell) lay down!

alfia said...

No, I do not believe I work harder with the crowd. I spend more enrgy concentrating, but not on the physical aspect of asanas.

Normally, I do not feel like I need to lay down after practice. Normally I feel a surge of energy and can work more efficiently. After 3 pm, however, everything starts going downhill really fast.

Boodiba said...

I think my "lay down" happens after the large meal... :)

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
Nice statue. My sutra teacher told me Ganesh's significance. I've already forgotten. hehe. However, I noticed that two teachers of mine had placed one in their practice space. Speaking of teachers, I'm thinking of possibly practicing at home and going to a shala ocassionally. Interesting your observations about crowded shalas. I guess you would suffer in Vanessa's shala in London.
Cheers,
Arturo

Boodiba said...

OMG! Mine is so similar! I'll have to post him later. Right now I've gotta go pick up my avocado roll & shrimp tempura appetizer.

alfia said...

Hi, Arturo:

Ganesh is known to be a very cheerful god, who removes obstacles. Lots of people in India worhip Ganesh. His story is a little schisophrenic though. Siva was his father; after discovering that his sone was accidentally decapitated, he ripped a head off a passing by elephant and attached it to the childs body. Siva was hoping that the boy's mother would not notice that something was amiss. LOL!

Linda, have a good lunch! Sushi, yam- yam!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alfia! I don't like crowds at all, nor do I like crowded shalas. It's part of the reason I get to practice very early and self-practice on Sundays.

Nothing wrong with you!

: )

alfia said...

Thank you, Anna! You made me feel much, much better! :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo