Monday, April 28, 2008

Cold and drizzly Monday

I had an excellent practice this morning. Which is surprising, considering today is Monday. Normally it is "I think I am gonna die on the next pose" practice.I nearly caught my left leg in dwi pada, which I am using lately to get into supta kurmasana. I lost balance the last second, but boy it was close. The only complaint about practice was that I could not hold standing balancing poses for the life of me. I do not know why it is the case sometimes. I was pretty concentrated on practice, so it was not the "mind chatter". I was not tired, to the contrary, the energy level was high. So what exactly determines good balance then?
I spent $350 yesterday on a week worth of groceries for the two of us. I wonder if it is because of the rising prices on food or because I am becoming a very picky eater with CRON. I cut out a lot of meat from our diet, but one needs to get a lot more food to get the same amount of calories and protein to substitute it. It seems it is much more expensive to be a vegetarian!

12 comments:

Boodiba said...

Food has gotten SO expensive lately. This is the first year I've noticed everything going up a LOT. I really need that freaking rate increase...

alfia said...

And I need to start eating less... :D

Arturo said...

Hi Alfia
Maybe you're going through a "first fervor" phase. I have found some things useful. For example, for a while, until my $2.33 Walgreens calculator I bought for grocery shopping stopped working, I entered everything I bought in the store as I went along. It helped make better choices - like stuff the grocer carries for cheaper under their own brand.

Then I noticed that if I was preparing special things such as dehydrated crackers, or the dehydrated veggie jerkey, that the grocery bill would jump up by $20. These days I haven't been doing the crackers or jerkey and my bill has been in the $60 to $60 range. You might be unknowingly stocking up on frozen foods, or extras and not know it.

Cheers,
Arturo

Arturo said...

$60 to $80 range...

alfia said...

Morning, Arturo!

First fervor, huh? You might be right. I hope my fervor settles down soon, or my some will not be able to finish his college! :)

Thank you for the suggestions, they are always very helpful. Keep them coming! :)

Boodiba said...

I don't eat that much, generally.

Rebirth2017 said...

Hi Alfia!
I think food has definitely gotten more expensive. That was the talk among family members this weekend while we were visiting NYC. Even though I don't drink milk, I think nearly 5 dollars a gallon for it is ridiculous!

Happy Monday, rain and all!

Unknown said...

hi alfia!

with warmer weather ahead, the farmers' markets will start popping up. generally, produce at the farmers markets is much cheaper than store-bought. i also shop at 2-3 different places. for example, trader joes has pretty good deals on some items (like tofu - $0.99 at TJ for 1lb, but $3.99 at giant!!), while giant has better deals on other items (5lbs of organic carrots for $3.99). it's a pain in the ass not to get everything from one place, but it might be worth it (of course, soon we'll have to start factoring in the cost of gas...grrr...).

hope this helps!

rayna

Unknown said...

oh, also, check out this site. you can find local farmers who will deliver baskets of in-season produce weekly or bi-weekly, and also search for local farmers markets.

alfia said...

Great! Thank you, Rayna!

Gypsy Girl said...

hold your hat!!! Food has skyrocketed...but unfortunately for all of us all indications are that is is going to keep going up!!
My problem with CRON is that I can't seem to get enough protein since I don't eat meat. i do eat some fish occasionally.
Just found your blog...love it.

alfia said...

Hi, Gypsy girl! Thank you for your kindness. I just read your blog and it is awesome. You did everything that I am just starting doing - Spanish, ultraprevention, detox, Cron. So amazing!

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo