Friday, April 4, 2008

Back to normal, I think

I was hoping that my practice today would easy after yesterday’s break. Not so much, though. I got this new “uncertain” feeling in my lower back. I am not sure whether it was after a long flight, practically one long day of sitting, or it was a result of my overzealous attempts to stand up from UD. In any case I decided not to risk it and just did 3 wheels from the floor, 5 breaths each. Probably it is time to start respecting my advanced age and take it easy when I have pains and aches.
I think I need to do some dieting or something. All that San-Franciscan sourdough made me too voluminous to bind even in Marichi D, which normally is not a problem. Supta Kurmasana was quite pathetic as well. Sigh.

Things have changed somewhat in our shala while I was away. I saw new people, some of them very strong practitioners. Interesting, how easy it is for me now to distinquish a “newbie” from an “oldie”, even if I look at them for a second or two. There was an Asian guy I have never seen (or noticed, which is possible since I am not wearing my glasses during practice), who jumped back while I was walking by. His jumpback was exquisite – effortless, slow and gracious. Then there was another new girl practicing next to me – gorgeous practice, very fluid and precise. The only thing which was weird – she had a tendency to moan in the poses. Not very loudly, but distinctly. Oh, well, nobody is perfect I guess. It was hard to say how far those two were in their practice, since everyone did a primary today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That San Franciscan sourdough is just so good, though!

I like your orchids, they are beautiful!

There's a man in our shala who jumps back like that - I swear that he stops in mid air. It's gorgeous to watch. Hope your lower back feels better... lately I'm really into respecting where my body is and what it does and doesn't want to do. I may not be "advancing" as quickly, but I feel so much better. It's worth it!

alfia said...

Good morning, Anna! :)

Yes, those mid-air stopping jumps stop my heart for a second, too! We have quite a few people who levitate.
I agree, respecting the body is worth the speed of advancement. It also keeps the ego in check, too! :D

What orchids? I took some orchid pictures in SF, but I did not post them. Anna, are you a psychic? Fess up! :D

Anonymous said...

" It was hard to say how far those two were in their practice, since everyone did a primary today."

just as far as everyone else: nowhere and every where.

alfia said...

Hi, Anon!

You looked lonely today. :)

Elaina said...

I often struggle with the "when to back off" issue. Some times I give myself too much freedom to skip or modify things. I use my "aches and pains" as an excuse. I sometimes go the opposite direction and push through when I should not. I'm sure it comes with time, and practice;)

crankyhausfrau said...

the cherry blossoms! the cherry blossoms!!
i think no matter your age, we need to respect our aches and pains. i am learning that now, too :)

 

View my page on WoYoPracMo